Menu

PA homeschoolers AP Govt. - 9th grader

Ok, I just don't know what to do about next year. The boys have always done history together. First with me, then Sonlight, now we are finishing up the 4th year of TOG. I chose not to do the government part of TOG, partly because my boys have done dialectic for part of those years. They will both need a 1/2 credit to graduate...well, according to the state of Texas.

Next year the boys will be 9th and 11th. My oldest is still trying to decide between a year long AP course with AP homeschoolers that looks challenging, but fun or just doing boring Notgrass as a just get it done program. My girl will be 4th grade and I will be doing a Texas history curriculum I created when I taught it to the boys.

So, history for that 9th grader... I plan to go back to TOG when he is a 10th grader with year 1. ( He is doing year 4 right now on the rhetoric level, so that way he will do all 4 years.) What about him doing the AP Government class?? He LOVES to read, especially history. He doesn't have the interest in politics like my oldest, but he would make a really good lawyer:) He writes better than my oldest and typically makes higher test grades on his history/literature tests. He made a 520 on the SAT as a 7th grader on the critical reading section. Could he handle it? If not, what history should I do? I love TOG, but I don't want to do it next year. The gap year will help my girl to be ready for two run throughs of the curriculum.

Christine

AP Gov't is not a really difficult class.

I have had three kids take it through PAH -- one as a senior, one as a junior, and one as a sophomore. My regret with my older two kids, who both took it later, was that I hadn't had them take the class sooner!

Now that I have used my older three kids as guinea pigs to figure out the best age to take the AP US Gov't, I will have my dd2 take it in 10th. :tongue_smilie:

Here in GA it's becoming much more common for 9th graders to take this course. Our dd is taking it through Georgia's virtual school as a homeschooler. My cousin teaches the course for our local public school. She teaches a freshman only section and last year 77% of students scored with a 3 or better.

Next year the boys will be 9th and 11th. My oldest is still trying to decide between a year long AP course with AP homeschoolers that looks challenging, but fun or just doing boring Notgrass as a just get it done program.

We haven't used Notgrass so I can't comment on that. But I have taught AP US Gov & Politics and found it very manageable for a prepared 9th grader. My dd took it as a 9th grader and did very well. There were several other 9th graders in the class who also did well. I was tempted to let my 8th grader take the class, but he was in an excellent history class and I knew we had time. So, another vote for AP US Gov for your 9th grader, if he' intereste and up for the reading. :001_smile:

Lisa

ETA: Is Notgrass a Biblical worldview curriculum? If so, keep in mind that Notgrass and an APUS Gov class will have a very different feel. You could always add in some summer reading for a Christian view of government before starting APUS Gov in the fall. I found the text we used pretty even-handed, but clearly secular. My only regret is that we didn't have much time to talk about government from a Christian worldview.

Edited by FloridaLisa

This is completely doable by a 9th grader. My dd is taking it right now in 10th. She says that it isn't overwhelming for her. She is enjoying it.

Renee,

My dd was considering taking AP Govt thru' PA Homeschoolers this year (9th grade), but decided to take AP Human Geography instead. My dd is considering taking it AP Govt next year (10th) along with AP US Hist. b/c a fellow homeschool mom told her, there will be overlap in these two classes and one will re-enforce the other (her son took both at the same time- but he is a really smart kid). But, I'm a little hesitant b/c of her 10th grade class load. I was wondering, how many hrs daily/weekly did your dd need to complete AP Govt assignments/readings etc? Also, what did she think of the teacher (thru' PA Homeschoolers)?

Thanks so much for your help,

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6)

My dd was considering taking AP Govt thru' PA Homeschoolers this year (9th grade), but decided to take AP Human Geography instead. My dd is considering taking it AP Govt next year (10th) along with AP US Hist. b/c a fellow homeschool mom told her, there will be overlap in these two classes and one will re-enforce the other (her son took both at the same time- but he is a really smart kid). But, I'm a little hesitant b/c of her 10th grade class load. I was wondering, how many hrs daily/weekly did your dd need to complete AP Govt assignments/readings etc? Also, what did she think of the teacher (thru' PA Homeschoolers)?

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, Sangita. I usually don't check the boards every day.

I would say my dd averages about 7-9 hours of work a week (add on an hour if she is working on one of the practice essays). She is really enjoying the class and thinks the teacher (Mrs. Califf) is great. She seems to know the kids inside and out, based on her weekly emails (I read them because they tend to be quite entertaining). I think your dd will do just fine next year if she decides to take both classes. Just let me know if you need more specific information.

Now, tell me what your dd thinks about the Human Geography class? My dd was thinking about taking that next year.

How is the PA Homeschoolers AP Gov't course scheduled? Is it a semester or a full year?

What is your time estimate per day for the course?

Also, would you award 1 full high school credit for this course or just 1/2 credit?

TIA,

Brenda

I should have answered your questions in my last post. Oh well.

The course is a full year, however the actual teaching and homework ends in March so the kids have April to study and prepare for the exam in May. My dd spends at least an hour a day on homework. I am planning on awarding 1 full high school credit. HTH