Menu

Anyone on GAPS diet? Let's talk!

Are you doing this or have you done it? I'd love to hear from you!

We'll be starting intro this week, and I am a bit nervous. Not about the diet per se, but about the work! I wasn't this nervous about doing TOG!! :D I am normally not shy of anything re: the kitchen, but am pretty tired right now with health issues. The freezer is stocked with grass-fed beef and chicken, I have made my first round of chicken broth (in the freezer) and am doing final shopping on Tuesday. Ordering probiotics and Fermented Cod Liver Oil today. The family is on board. You know, really, I am excited! (Crossing fingers)

If you have read this far and have no idea what I am talking about, bless you!

gapsdiet.com

gapsdiet.com

LOL. I was sitting here going "huh?" and hoping your post would give SOME information :)

Actually, when you said "freezer is stocked with grass-fed beef and chicken" you lost me, but I hope things go well for you and yours :)

We are starting, again. :) Funny, cause I was gonna post here about it, but then decided against it since no one probably would know what I was asking about! I am doing a menu plan. I think that's why I couldn't hang with it last time. It's a lot of cooking and preparation, so if a meal times comes around and food isn't read then it's too easy to resort to carbs. Gotta go, but will check back in. We are not starting with the intro this time, but will just begin with full GAPS minus the carby stuff (beans, peas, squash). Basically, meat and veggies and broth. I have been making broth for years and always in huge quantities, so I've got that down!

I *do* know what you're talking about, but we're "just" doing gluten- and dairy- (and chemical/color-free), not the GAPS. Have you found any of the online forums for the GAPS diet?

Please update us. I'd love to know how you are doing with it. :)

Lisa

Well, the Yahoo group scares me! :D Too much info! I do read it though, and I am learning a lot. I should look to see about others, I never thought of that! Thanks!

Don't be down on the *just* part... you are doing a lot!

I'll be sure to post back with stories.

I know of two families doing it and they are very happy with the results so far. One has intestinal issues that I believe have completely cleared up and another family have a daughter with cyclical vomiting and it has helped her as well. If I could afford it, and really to do it right is a huge investment, I would. Well, I would have to get dh on board first, but I would. I haven't even read the book, just talked to these two families and seen the results.

Best of luck to you. :001_smile:

We are starting, again. :) Funny, cause I was gonna post here about it, but then decided against it since no one probably would know what I was asking about! I am doing a menu plan. I think that's why I couldn't hang with it last time. It's a lot of cooking and preparation, so if a meal times comes around and food isn't read then it's too easy to resort to carbs. Gotta go, but will check back in. We are not starting with the intro this time, but will just begin with full GAPS minus the carby stuff (beans, peas, squash). Basically, meat and veggies and broth. I have been making broth for years and always in huge quantities, so I've got that down!

I think you are on to something... a menu plan! It is always when we are starving, it's late, and I have no idea what I am doing that we falter. I think I will sit down and schedule out a few weeks this evening. Thanks!

A dear friend of mine has had her family on GAPS for nearly a year. She is very happy with the improvement in their health. She and all her kids suffer horrible food allergies and are healing nicely.

I've been intrigued and have wondered if anyone here has tried it. :) She has offered to loan me the book, but I, too, am intimidated by being so tied to the kitchen.

She did the full intro diet, which, she tells me, is tough, but has been worth it for her family.

I'd love to hear how things go for you. Are you doing the intro. or just switching over to the diet? (I don't mean 'just,' like it's insignificant...that would be a huge adjustment for my family).

My son has celiac and type 1 diabetes, which is mainly why I've been interested in this diet.

I know of two families doing it and they are very happy with the results so far. One has intestinal issues that I believe have completely cleared up and another family have a daughter with cyclical vomiting and it has helped her as well. If I could afford it, and really to do it right is a huge investment, I would. Well, I would have to get dh on board first, but I would. I haven't even read the book, just talked to these two families and seen the results.

Best of luck to you. :001_smile:

It seems the biggest investment will be all the fish oil and probiotics. The food portion should be about the same as our normal bill, as we just bought a half of beef and that brought the per-pound price down very low. Then considering in all the money I won't be spending on sweets, we should be even :D. Seriously, the cost is a factor.... I think I should keep a detailed journal of costs so that I can see exactly where we are at. At this point I am at a crossroads with health, so if this works it will be worth it!

A dear friend of mine has had her family on GAPS for nearly a year. She is very happy with the improvement in their health. She and all her kids suffer horrible food allergies and are healing nicely.

I've been intrigued and have wondered if anyone here has tried it. :) She has offered to loan me the book, but I, too, am intimidated by being so tied to the kitchen.

She did the full intro diet, which, she tells me, is tough, but has been worth it for her family.

I'd love to hear how things go for you. Are you doing the intro. or just switching over to the diet? (I don't mean 'just,' like it's insignificant...that would be a huge adjustment for my family).

My son has celiac and type 1 diabetes, which is mainly why I've been interested in this diet.

We have been slowly heading this direction for a month or so, but I have to admit that it has been more of an intellectual heading, lol! Getting my brain wrapped around it is the hardest part. Now that the time is here, I am a bit impatient to begin. We'll start intro on Wednesday I think... we have been eating up all the non-GAPS foods in the house and are almost out. A friend (with dh and 4 kids under 7!) did intro and has been eating full GAPS for a few months now. The amazing difference it made for them has really encouraged me to go for it. I'll report when we get going!

So can we start compiling a list of GAPS friendly meals? Here's what I've got so far. Our breakfast everyday will be: Chicken and Vegetable soup that is left in the crock pot overnight so it's warm in the morning for those who get up earlier than me. I make 4 gallons of stock at a time! So handy to pull it from the fridge.

Curry Chicken Stir-fry

Meatloaf

Crockpot Fajitas w/ Mexican coleslaw

Salmon (Wild and frozen from Walmart)

Pesto chicken Salad w/ side of broth (pesto made with dried herbs)

Marinated Kabobs w/ salad

Marinara Sauce and Meatballs over Salad or Spaghetti squash

Beef Stew

I can't find my list! THis is all I could remember offhand. I will post our actual menu plan when it's finished.

Note: I won't be using all organic at fist. We will butcher our calf soon, so will have grass fed beef in the freezer again. My whole organic chickens will be from Costco (I make broth from these). If I buy a case, which I always do, the price if unbeatable.

Also, this diet is not optional for our family. This means that our health depends on this diet. I can go into that later, but we are all so, so sick here and though it may not be our only contributer, GI pathogens are present. I have tried GAPS w/out the probiotic and tried the probiotic w/out GAPS with so, so results. When I did both, we SAW millions and million of bacteria in our stool. It was unbelievable. My thinking was much improved! We had to stop because we ran out of the probiotic and could not afford more and so I foolishly stopped the diet. I still should have continued and just started up with the pb when possible.

So can we start compiling a list of GAPS friendly meals? Here's what I've got so far. Our breakfast everyday will be: Chicken and Vegetable soup that is left in the crock pot overnight so it's warm in the morning for those who get up earlier than me. I make 4 gallons of stock at a time! So handy to pull it from the fridge.

Curry Chicken Stir-fry

Meatloaf

Crockpot Fajitas w/ Mexican coleslaw

Salmon (Wild and frozen from Walmart)

Pesto chicken Salad w/ side of broth (pesto made with dried herbs)

Marinated Kabobs w/ salad

Marinara Sauce and Meatballs over Salad or Spaghetti squash

Beef Stew

I can't find my list! THis is all I could remember offhand. I will post our actual menu plan when it's finished.

Note: I won't be using all organic at fist. We will butcher our calf soon, so will have grass fed beef in the freezer again. My whole organic chickens will be from Costco (I make broth from these). If I buy a case, which I always do, the price if unbeatable.

Also, this diet is not optional for our family. This means that our health depends on this diet. I can go into that later, but we are all so, so sick here and though it may not be our only contributer, GI pathogens are present. I have tried GAPS w/out the probiotic and tried the probiotic w/out GAPS with so, so results. When I did both, we SAW millions and million of bacteria in our stool. It was unbelievable. My thinking was much improved! We had to stop because we ran out of the probiotic and could not afford more and so I foolishly stopped the diet. I still should have continued and just started up with the pb when possible.

OH, hurray, those sound like 'real' foods! I feel better :D

I am reading posts now (searching the Yahoo group site) about cutting costs. Maybe using more fermented veggies, less probiotic... not sure yet. I didn't realize you could get chicken at Costco! I'll check that out too. We (mostly me) are sick and have no choice but to take every approach possible. Thanks so much! It helps knowing I am not alone :grouphug:

Are you doing this or have you done it? I'd love to hear from you!

We'll be starting intro this week, and I am a bit nervous. Not about the diet per se, but about the work! I wasn't this nervous about doing TOG!! :D I am normally not shy of anything re: the kitchen, but am pretty tired right now with health issues. The freezer is stocked with grass-fed beef and chicken, I have made my first round of chicken broth (in the freezer) and am doing final shopping on Tuesday. Ordering probiotics and Fermented Cod Liver Oil today. The family is on board. You know, really, I am excited! (Crossing fingers)

gapsdiet.com

I am considering this for us. I plan to see Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride at the WAPF Wise Traditions Conference in Valley Forge, PA in November. she is speaking all day on Friday.