Menu

Family Worship Materials (CC)

Hello!

Our family uses and loves "The Family Worship Book" by Terry L. Johnson. The book includes an introduction on the whys/hows and offers sample structures for the worship. It also includes the Apostle's creed, the Nicene creed, the Beatitudes, the Lord's prayer, the Ten Commandments, a children's catechism, and psalms/hymns to sing.

In addition, we have really enjoyed using The Children's Bible by Catherine Vos. The author does a very good job of describing the meaning and concepts that surround the event in Scripture. The kiddos love it!

Hope this helps!

If you wanted to add hymn singing, the Hymns for Kith and Kin CD & hymnal is great accompaniment for people like me who can't carry a tune in a bucket with the lid nailed on. They have other resources (teaching singing in parts) as well.

Susan Hunt has some wonderful devotional books for young children. This series, Finding Jesus in Genesis and Exodus would be great for the ages of your children.

Our all-time favorite children's devotional is God's Alphabet for Life. It is inexpensive and hard hitting. Don't let the "alphabet" title scare you off because you have an 8yo, my husband and I both found it deep and challenging for us, while it really spoke to our children. We'll certainly revisit it.

Love the Vos Bible mentioned above, we're reading it now and just finished "Exodus". We also like The Jesus Storybook Bible as a devotional read.

And now that I've typed that all out, I see that you're using "Catholic K" and these are all very much "Reformed" resources, so maybe they wont' help you out at all :)

And now that I've typed that all out, I see that you're using "Catholic K" and these are all very much "Reformed" resources, so maybe they wont' help you out at all :)

I should have mentioned that we aren't practicing Catholics. I will be pulling dd out of school during Christmas because she wants to homeschool.

I am open to all kinds of materials. My main concern is having a personal relationship with God, not adhering to religious dogma that is unclear to me.

I should have mentioned that we aren't practicing Catholics. I will be pulling dd out of school during Christmas because she wants to homeschool.

I am open to all kinds of materials. My main concern is having a personal relationship with God, not adhering to religious dogma that is unclear to me.

[phew] OK. I really can't recommend the God's Alphabet for Life enough. One evening after dinner we read that and N-boy decided to ask Jesus for a new heart. It is a wonderful book, speaks clearly without talking down. And it is cheap and short so if you don't like it, it isn't a huge investment.