Menu

Possible sprained wrist - go to the er?

Dd fell playing racquetball today. She landed all her weight on her hand and it bent back at the wrist. She can move her fingers, and can move the wrist (but that part is painful). It is warm and there is some mild swelling. She iced it and has a splint (a wrap like the ones used for carpal tunnel) on it so she can't move it.

Should I take her to the er (it's after ofc hours here) or let it rest for 48 hrs and then decide? It's so hard to determine with her just exactly how much it hurts because she's just not a complainer. She said it hurts "pretty bad", but if given the choice, she's not sure she wants to "spend a couple hours in the er over it". That's not really all that helpful to me. Would the dr do anything different than we already did?

Any experience with a sprained wrist would be welcome!

Thanks!

Edited by LauraGB

For what it's worth, my d/d fell on her wrist in a similar manner and broke it in 2 places. The parent she was with at the time is a nurse, who was sure it was a sprain. We did ice/Motrin, and finally ended up in the ER just to be safe. So glad we went.

I hope it is a minor injury & she is better quickly.

Dd fell playing racquetball today. She landed all her weight on her hand and it bent back at the wrist. She can move her fingers, and can move the wrist (but that part is painful). It is warm and there is some mild swelling. She iced it and has a splint (a wrap like the ones used for carpal tunnel) on it so she can't move it.

Should I take her to the er (it's after ofc hours here) or let it rest for 48 hrs and then decide? It's so hard to determine with her just exactly how much it hurts because she's just not a complainer. She said it hurts "pretty bad", but if given the choice, she's not sure she wants to "spend a couple hours in the er over it". That's not really all that helpful to me. Would the dr do anything different than we already did?

Any experience with a sprained wrist would be welcome!

Thanks!

My son fell out of a tree 3 weeks ago on top of his wrist. I wasn't sure what to do either. He was in some pain and there was some swelling. It was after office hours. I went ahead and took him to the ER because I knew if I called my dr. in the morning about it she'd send us to Urgent Care anyway. That's just how they are. :tongue_smilie: So might as well take care of it before the school day tomorrow.

It did end up being broken but they couldn't put the cast on because of the swelling. They stabilized it and we had to make another appt. with another dr. to get the cast on once the swelling went down.

Gah!

Would she be able to move everything if it was broken? We just looked at it again, and she can move all her fingers with no prob. She can bend her wrist forward with no problems, but backwards "hurts a little, but is better than before"; and she was able to bend it back a little more than earlier. There is bruising on the muscle area below her thumb (on the palm - I can't think of what that is called), which wasn't there before. She said she doesn't think it's broken, but since she's never broken anything before, how could she know?

Hate to be discouraging, but my d/d could move her fingers, and her wrist, which is why the parent/nurse with her thought it would be a sprain.

My d/h is famous for his "break test" for every injury. If a kid could move it, wiggle it, bend it, it was fine. He was wrong often enough to lose his pretend medical license.