Menu

PSAT- national merit cutoff - why does it vary by state?

Daughter got a 211 on her PRACTICE PSAT.

If she lived in another state, that would qualify her for National Merit consideration. Because we live in MA, cut off is at 223. This is like the highest except for Washington D.C. It does not seem fair.

In the meanwhile, I'm very proud of her.

Please explain this national merit thing to me and why it goes by state.

Thanks

Ame

Daughter got a 211 on her PRACTICE PSAT.

If she lived in another state, that would qualify her for National Merit consideration. Because we live in MA, cut off is at 223. This is like the highest except for Washington D.C. It does not seem fair.

In the meanwhile, I'm very proud of her.

Please explain this national merit thing to me and why it goes by state.

Thanks

Ame

From wiki:

Each state is allocated a percentage of Semifinalists based on the percentage of that state's graduating seniors out of the nation's total.

It would be politically too incorrect if nearly all the scholarships were awarded in a handful of states (mostly in the Northeast) and very few in other areas of the country. They also try to keep the gender balance from being too far in favor of boys by weighting the verbal portion of the PSAT twice as heavily as the math. So even though my brother and I had similar total PSAT scores, I made the cutoff & he didn't.

It isn't fair, but it won't be the last time she'll have to deal with this kind of unfairness.