Menu

less rigorous curriculum vs modifying a rigorous curriculum

How are you teaching your child with learning challenges? I have some compulsive tendencies, and so have been working on an ideal cumulative course of study for my children through the grammar, logic and rhetoric stages (My oldest is 5. Yes, I have a problem.)

I've decided to try and do a modified, multiyear (if necessary) 'kindergarten' program with my kids to introduce them to the basics of phonics and math. It is my hope that I will then be able to proceed with a more classical course of study--grammar in all of its components; the great works; latin; greek; logic; math; basic sciences; history; geography; at least one modern language; art (not crafts, but art history and interpretation); music....

You get the idea. Now my children have a variety of learning and behavioral challenges, and some may not be able to eventually attend college or even live independently. My thinking, though, is that I'd rather spend 12 or 15 years exposing them (as slowly as need be) to the best education from which they can take what they're able, than to forego the rigorous path for a curriculum that they may complete, but is much less comprehensive in scope and depth. Does that make sense?

This stuff literally keeps me up at night. Thanks for letting me think 'out loud' here. I can't wait to hear your thoughts and/or experiences. Perhaps you can help me to think more thoroughly through this issue.

First, take a deep breath. You've got many years ahead of you, and it is more important to fit the education to the child rather than make the child fit into your ideal educational plan. It sounds like you already know this intellectually, it is just a matter of living with that reality. Kids have a way of making us drop our best laid plans, whether those plans are for the afternoon or for their education!

Perhaps instead of worrying about choosing "less rigorous" materials or modifying, just plan on using whatever will work best. The qualities of what worked best for my family changed over the years. Sometimes it worked best to do any exercises orally and stick with advanced materials, sometimes it worked best to go with an easier program so my ds could handle it all on his own.

I avoided worrying about this for the most part by not using curricula, other than math, until high school. My kids had a math program, some handwriting and logic game workbooks, but everything else came from reading, visiting museums, attending talks, plays and short classes, doing science and other projects and watching some good documentaries and movies. They learned to write by doing narrations then moving onto essays. They learned grammar by playing games and diagramming sentences, and through the editing of their work. I didn't do Latin with my learning challenged ds as foreign languages were virtually impossible for him. It was a battle I chose to skip.

It sounds light weight, but it wasn't. My kids learned all the basic academic skills and read extensively. Both my ds with learning challenges and my neuro-typical ds are excellent writers, are well-read and knowledgeable about history, current events and science. Learning is simply a part of life for them -- it wasn't something that only came from a "rigorous curricula", but comes from reading and being engaged in the wider world. The ds with learning challenges is a successful young adult, with a semester of college behind him and a year long internship almost completed. He knows what he wants to do with his life and knows what he has to do to get there.

I also had mapped out a homeschool plan when my kids were little, and it wound up looked nothing like what I had envisioned!! At some point I finally learned just to plan each year as it comes -- making lists of books to read, topics I want to cover, places to visit, projects to do. By just planning a year in advance I am planning for the child I actually have, not the fictional child I might have in 10 years, so the materials and topics are a good fit. It is a frightening step to let go and take it just a year at a time, but it works.

Don't know if that answers your questions and concerns. I though you might want to hear from someone who has been there and done that, and graduated a child with learning challenges.

First, take a deep breath. You've got many years ahead of you, and it is more important to fit the education to the child rather than make the child fit into your ideal educational plan. It sounds like you already know this intellectually, it is just a matter of living with that reality. Kids have a way of making us drop our best laid plans, whether those plans are for the afternoon or for their education!

Perhaps instead of worrying about choosing "less rigorous" materials or modifying, just plan on using whatever will work best. The qualities of what worked best for my family changed over the years. Sometimes it worked best to do any exercises orally and stick with advanced materials, sometimes it worked best to go with an easier program so my ds could handle it all on his own.

------

I also had mapped out a homeschool plan when my kids were little, and it wound up looked nothing like what I had envisioned!! At some point I finally learned just to plan each year as it comes -- making lists of books to read, topics I want to cover, places to visit, projects to do. By just planning a year in advance I am planning for the child I actually have, not the fictional child I might have in 10 years, so the materials and topics are a good fit. It is a frightening step to let go and take it just a year at a time, but it works.

------

Don't know if that answers your questions and concerns. I though you might want to hear from someone who has been there and done that, and graduated a child with learning challenges.

:iagree: Same ideas here. My son is now 10. What I am doing now looks nothing like what I projected to be doing when he was 5 and I was looking forward. As his needs and abilities have changed, I have at times had to make quite dramatic changes in my plans and in my idea of the 'perfect curriculum'. Sometimes reading and math with a little grammar are all we could muster after therapies, special tutors, medical appointments, and more on a regular basis. At times I had to make the conscious decision to just not cover art, history or science.

I also spent a small fortune building up a library and materials on what I thought I wanted to do and where I assummed he would be in the future. It all ended up being wasted money that I could have spent more wisely. As we are now planning to move I am selling almost all of it. Yes, I still have a dd3, but I have learned that I can't buy ahead when skills/abilities are quite unpredictable. When I am ready to begin with her, she will have different needs and skills than ds did. I will assess and buy each year for her as we go.

Depending on your child's special needs, it may also be that somewhere in the future you may have to leave classical ideals behind (or reduce time spent on them significantly) for self care, job training, and so forth that can demand a great deal of time.

The best education for your child may end up looking like nothing you are dreaming about now.

In my view, many learning issues are more about how the child learns and produces (as in, the method of information input and/or output) rather than the what (the substance/level of intellectual difficulty).

So, to answer your question, I'd first modify before going to something less rigorous. Here, again, I'm using "rigor" to refer to level of intellectual difficulty, not level of output.

As an example, I would not let a struggle with timed math fact tests hold back a child from learning increasingly complex mathematical concepts. Instead, I'd modify by not timing the math fact practice.

Similarly, I would not let a struggle with handwriting dictate level of language-related activities. Instead, I might allow oral and/or type-written responses, depending on the circumstance.

And if said child had been through neuropsych testing, for example, I'd probably have a list of recommended modifications.:)

ETA: I'd keep the strengths and weaknesses in mind when choosing particular curricula. Teach using the strengths while supporting the weaknesses, if that makes any sense. Choosing another curriculum based on the child's individual strengths and weaknesses does not mean that the curriculum is less "rigorous" than some other one that is popular for kids without learning issues.

Edited by wapiti

I agree with the majority of posters here...I can remember doing the same thing when ds was 6 or 7, and now that he's in 9th, I can honestly say that what we've done looks *nothing* like what I had "planned".

Just take it year by year - your kids' developmental jumps will surprise you. There will be times when you'll just modify the timeline of a curric, and times when you have to chuck what you're using and develop a whole new plan. Leave yourself room and flexibility to do that - it's really the best advice I can give.

ETA: I'd keep the strengths and weaknesses in mind when choosing particular curricula. Teach using the strengths while supporting the weaknesses, if that makes any sense. Choosing another curriculum based on the child's individual strengths and weaknesses does not mean that the curriculum is less "rigorous" than some other one that is popular for kids without learning issues.

Wise advice! When my ds was having serious fine motor issues, I avoided curriculums that were heavy handwriting and we did just fine.