Menu

Would I be a horrible homeschool parent if I declared an impromptu week off?

We just finished our first six weeks and I am drowning in activities. WHAT the HECK was I thinking when I let them sign up for all this [bleep] stuff?

You all who are just starting out should read the following as a cautionary tale:

Ds 11 has X-country meet on Tuesday, practice hills on Thursday and a meet on Sat.

He has FIRST Lego League on Thursday and Sat.

He has choir on Wed. and then youth group.

Ds 8 has football practice M/T/Th and a game on Sat.

He has choir on Wed and church that night.

Ds 5 has soccer on T/F/ and a game on Sat.

He has choir on Wed., and then church as well.

Oh and we need to do school. For the first time I feel like I am floundering. I CANNOT imagine where my brain was when I agreed to all these activities.

Learn from my example people! Don't let this happen to you!

We just finished our first six weeks and I am drowning in activities. WHAT the HECK was I thinking when I let them sign up for all this [bleep] stuff?

You all who are just starting out should read the following as a cautionary tale:

Ds 11 has X-country meet on Tuesday, practice hills on Thursday and a meet on Sat.

He has FIRST Lego League on Thursday and Sat.

He has choir on Wed. and then youth group.

Ds 8 has football practice M/T/Th and a game on Sat.

He has choir on Wed and church that night.

Ds 5 has soccer on T/F/ and a game on Sat.

He has choir on Wed., and then church as well.

Oh and we need to do school. For the first time I feel like I am floundering. I CANNOT imagine where my brain was when I agreed to all these activities.

Learn from my example people! Don't let this happen to you!

I think my head just exploded! That sounds like a horrible week! Thanks for the warning.

Definitely take the week off, but what about the weeks after that? Are you going to trim some things down to make them more manageable?

I'm just wondering because my schedule looks a lot like yours and I've just learned to deal with the go, go, go. Is there really a way to scale back from activities the kids love when you have multiple kids?? I guess I have just decided I can rest when they're grown. :001_smile:

Definitely take the week off, but what about the weeks after that? Are you going to trim some things down to make them more manageable?

I'm just wondering because my schedule looks a lot like yours and I've just learned to deal with the go, go, go. Is there really a way to scale back from activities the kids love when you have multiple kids?? I guess I have just decided I can rest when they're grown. :001_smile:

Well, I am hoping that ds 8 will decide he is over football after this. Football truly has the most grueling practice schedule of anything else we have done. Ds 11 will be done with XC after the 26th and then he will just run with his dad.

Soccer will be over soon for Ds 5. Many of his games have been rained out, but he still loves it! I am going to try to make at least the younger two play the same sport at the same time this winter.

As my kids got older and school became more involved, I discovered that I needed more breaks. As it turned out, 6 weeks on, 1 week off works well for me. Now my ds's are taking classes at a private school that follows the public school calendar. This year, that public school district decided to schedule an extra week break. So their schedule now is pretty much 6 weeks on, 1 week off. I like it! :D

Cinder

We have a pretty packed schedule and are only home two mornings a week right now!

Monday: Both at nature program 930-3 (I work during this time)

Tuesday: ds8 evening soccer

Wednesday: ds8 afternoon book club, ds5 evening soccer

Thursday: ds8 drama class 930-1130, ds8 evening soccer

Friday: ds8 Geometry class 1030-12 with a 30 minute commute, ds8 piano lesson 315-400

Saturday: both soccer games at random times during the day in different cities

We are trying a couple of things: do some fun stuff like science experiments and projects at times like random afternoons or Sundays, and focusing on the basics at other times. When our schedule calms down in November we will have a few months of more daily and then for a few months in the Spring we will have the same schedule.

It is all fun stuff, all that "socialization" we all worry about. So I hate to cut back and am still trying to work out a realistic balance.

Anyway, feel free to take a week off if you have done 6 weeks of work. You can take some time to figure out what school is realistic given your time constraints. Why do we do this to ourselves? :confused: