Menu

Dover Coloring Books

Missouri Okie

A veteran homeschooler gave me a stack of unused Dover Coloring Books such as Story of the Civil War Coloring Book (by Peter F. Copeland), The Lewis and Clark Expedition Coloring Book (by Peter F. Copeland), United States Coloring Book, Castles of the World Coloring Book, etc.

I see many of these are listed as recommended resources in WTM. Does anyone use these? Is there a meaningful way to incorporate them in lessons besides just having them color a page in the book that relates to the topic we're studying?

Guest TheBugsMom

I use them as the above poster said and use them for Notebooking pages. I will find a pic from the color book and make a copy for my children to color if they want, but then they tell me or write about the topic we are studying and we use the picture to enhance their notebooks.

Some of the Dover coloring books have so much detail in the pictures. This is great for us right now because dd will work on one picture for several days as I read to her about the topic. This way the pictures aren't overwhelming.

I use them as the above poster said and use them for Notebooking pages. I will find a pic from the color book and make a copy for my children to color if they want, but then they tell me or write about the topic we are studying and we use the picture to enhance their notebooks.

Some of the Dover coloring books have so much detail in the pictures. This is great for us right now because dd will work on one picture for several days as I read to her about the topic. This way the pictures aren't overwhelming.

This is how we would use them if we had them. We find, especially for younger kids, that having their hands busy helps them listen and mine are definitely retaining more this way. I have been looking at those for a while, and I might just have to buy some. You have definitely been blessed with a wonderful resource.