Menu

Long Division Help

I'd also suggest doing a few problems with manipulatives. It'll be slow going at first, but it may make the connection clearer with what's going on.

Base 10 blocks probably would work best. Idea is to divide up the largest quantity first, then break down smaller quantities.

So for 624 / 5, you have 6 HUNDREDS that you're dividing up into 5 groups.

Each group gets 1 HUNDRED.

We have 1 hundred left over, so break it into tens.

We now have 12 TENS that are being divided into the 5 groups.

(Continue...)

The key is talking about place value... it's not 6 divided by 5; it's 6 hundreds divided by 5.

Do a couple just with the blocks, then use the algorithm.

Saxon has a chart with the steps that the children are required to write/draw many times. Maybe something like that would help--no discussion about how or why it works...just the steps (which are divide, multiply, subtract, bring down, and repeat until there are no numbers left).

Saxon has a chart with the steps that the children are required to write/draw many times. Maybe something like that would help--no discussion about how or why it works...just the steps (which are divide, multiply, subtract, bring down, and repeat until there are no numbers left).

I borrowed a copy of Saxon 5/4 and wrote out the chart. It really helped my older dd to remember the steps.