Menu

Singapore Science: actually based on something from Singapore, or just branding?

idnib

We've been using Singapore Math and it has worked quite well for my son. One of the things that attracted me to it in the first place was that it was similar to the curriculum approved by the Singapore Ministry of Education (according to Rainbow, anyway.)

I'm now looking at science programs and am wondering if the science materials are also based on actual programs in Singapore, or if they are a similar style to Singapore Math but not linked to the country of Singapore's science standards. (IOW, is it just branding?) It's funny because Rainbow doesn't say anything about any actual connection to Singapore.

Anyone know?

Look at what's for sale from

http://www.singaporemath.com/

It lists the publishers more clearly. I bought an art book from them a few years ago, and it was from Singapore (as in, published by a company that exists in that country). They also sell English books there that are clearly not from the US as they reflect Singaporean English (e.g. "Some nouns are called uncountable nouns, or uncount nouns for short" -- indeed).

Rainbow Resources is a distributor of their stuff.

Edited by stripe

We're using My Pals Are Here 3/4. It's definitely from Singapore. Plants are from there as illustrations and some activities have kids going into their school garden or to the Singapore Gardens to do a task.

I think using the Homework and the Higher Order Thinking Skills books is where the real challenges come with the program.