Menu

Consequences for sneaking food upstairs?

We have a no food upstairs for kids policy in our household. I have explained that the reason is because they don't clean up after themselves and its not hygienic.

I decided to do some spring cleaning today and found junk food wrappers and empty soda cans/bottles in my 14 yo dd's closet. I don't know how long they've been there because I don't usually clean her bedroom. Please help me find some logical consequences. I think she does it because I do not approve of her eating junk food on a regular basis, which of course she loves, so she hides rather than meeting my disapproval. She is a good kid, but she loves her food, is sedentary and exercises only because it is required of her. She understands that it is not healthy but she still has trouble self limitting. What would you do?

It would depend on my ultimate goal -- is it to discipline for misbehavior? is it to help my daughter with her eating issue? is it somewhere in between the two?

Ultimately it is to help my daughter with her eating issues, I think in this case that is the larger of the two problems.

I'd reiterate the "no food upstairs" rule, but go no further for now. IMHO, it's important to avoid compounding what is going on with her by potentially shaming her (which could happen regardless of your intent) because this will probably end up being a lifelong battle for her, much of it emotional. In the meantime, I'd make sure there were lots of healthy snacks around the house and try to do as many physical activities with the family as possible. She needs help making exercise a habit, not a chore. Can she cook? If not, teaching her to make healthy meals for the family might be a good idea.

I'm of two minds here. I really would not want to undermine myself by not having consequences, but I do not want food issues.

I really think I'd simply reiterate the rule of no food in the bedroom. I'd let her know I don't approve of her junk food habit, but if she feels the need she may have it at the kitchen table at her own expense.

I do fear eating disorders way more than I do bugs in the house because of food not properly disposed of.

I would just quit buying the junk and remove the temptation. If the rest of your family is eating it, it's going to be tough for her to abstain (sounds like she shouldn't be eating it at all, much less in her room.) She'll continue to hide food if she knows you disapprove. Hiding food is a symptom of eating disorders.

I would just quit buying the junk and remove the temptation.
I'd assumed she was bringing it in from outside the house. Yes, if there's junk food in the house, remove it. Nobody needs it.

Thank you for your feedback. I know I have to tread carefully, that is why I wanted some opinions...

Some of the food is from home (basically chips) but most is from outside the home. We have a fairly healthy diet, we have no soda in the house but we do allow chips and sweet treats in moderation. Moderation is what I am trying to teach.