Menu

Excel help

Trying to sort a 55,500 point data set using Windows Excel. When I order one column from smallest to largest, the accompanying values in a neighbor column don't change at the same time, which has made it difficult to calculate certain values. How can I sort data in two separate columns so that values in the same rows stay connected?

Thanks,

Jet

Looks like your guys' suggestions worked. :D I was able to find the appropriate averages from the column! At least for most... Now I am faced with a new dilemma. One column consists of both zeros and positive numbers. I tried to highlight and average the numbers, but it leaves me with the answer "0." That can't be right...

Any suggestions?

Jet

Looks like your guys' suggestions worked. :D I was able to find the appropriate averages from the column! At least for most... Now I am faced with a new dilemma. One column consists of both zeros and positive numbers. I tried to highlight and average the numbers, but it leaves me with the answer "0." That can't be right...

Any suggestions?

Jet

I just tried to average something simple (positive numbers and zeros) and it turned out OK. But I have sometimes run into problems when I do formulas by highlighting cells.

Do you have the Formula Bar turned on (it's under the View tab at the top)? the Formula Bar should say

=AVERAGE(A!:A20)

or whatever cells you are averaging. If it does not, it is sometimes easier to type in the formula manually than try the Excel 'shortcuts.'

HTH

Edited by Alessandra