Menu

All American History vs Notgrass American History

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
It is geared for 5-8th grade. I know the Notgrass Exploring America is for 9th and above, but I would still use it for my 8th grader.

Especially if you did both volumes in 2 years.

We also chucked AAH within a month...it went straight to the resell shelf. Dry, boring, and not what it's marketed as. I can tell you (from helping at a friend's curric consignment store) that it's not a big seller when stacked against other choices.

I've looked through Notgrass, I've been happy with what I've seen. It's not something that fits our needs at the moment, but between the two, I'd choose Notgrass in a heartbeat.

I can't speak to Notgrass as all I have seen is the on line samples, which I think look good. I can tell you that the AAH I found dry and boring and so did the kids, we did not make it very far before I re-sold it.

We also chucked AAH within a month...it went straight to the resell shelf. Dry, boring, and not what it's marketed as.

:iagree:

Same here.

We like AAH. We used AAH1 for 7th grade and are using AAH2 for 8th grade. I use it as a spine and have found wonderful supplements for each chapter. DS does all of the assignments recommended for high schoolers.

I think if AAH1 and AAH2 are combined into a year it would be fine for high school.

I know nothing about Notgrass so I cannot make a comparison.

We like AAH. We used AAH1 for 7th grade and are using AAH2 for 8th grade. I use it as a spine and have found wonderful supplements for each chapter. DS does all of the assignments recommended for high schoolers.

I think if AAH1 and AAH2 are combined into a year it would be fine for high school.

I know nothing about Notgrass so I cannot make a comparison.

Thanks! Would be so nice to see it in person...

All American History is more like grades 6-8, HOWEVER, you can use the text as a spine for high school if you get the Teacher Manual/guide. In it there are some great things, including reading lists for grades 9-12 (there are lists for grades 1-4 & 5-8 as well). The Activity Book/workbook is definitly on the easy side as far as the questions go, etc, but there are also suggestions for additional study that are not in the TM that can be done at any grade level. There are activities, projects, etc.

My dd's did this in middle school and this is where I saw the extra reading. Since they've already done it, we've gone with something else for high school, but not Notgrass.