Menu

Does this child need orthodic inserts?

My 6yo ds is flat footed, no arch. He has had orthodics in the past and his current pair is too small. However, I can't decide if he needs them or not, and they aren't covered by insurance.

Our current doctor says yes, our old doctor said only if he complains of back or leg pain. He doesn't complain of pain, or being tired, which is another symptom. He goes barefoot most of the time at home and in the summer goes barefoot or wears flip flops.

Should he be wearing his inserts all the time, even in the house? Or, only if he begins to complain? Anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

Can't help you with that, just wanted to say HI! hope your having a great time. have you checked your inbox? I might be kinda full :)

Actually, about the inserts. We struggled last summer or the summer before, with Ty, he where's flip-flops all the time too. We just tried to make he where them as much as possible. We really should get him checked again to make sure they are the right size.

Hey there!

I emailed you back, did you get it yet? :) Phil and I are trying to keep the computers off during the day. :) Why does Ty need orthodics? I don't mind getting them for Levi again, if he needs them, but if he isn't going to wear them or they don't really make a difference I don't want to spend the money, KWIM?

Yeah, Jean & I have been busy chatting while you've been gone!

Does he complain about any pain? Did you check out what kind of shoes he should have? I know when I looked up my foot pain, there were certain shoes for each type of foot. Maybe try that first? I know some people from church go to a really good shoe store and maybe they could tell you where it was and I wonder if they would have some over-the-counter inserts for you?

We had been taking him to the chiro because his alignment in his back is off. If you look at him from the back you can see the one shoulder is lower then the other. It's been way too long since we've taken him in. I just need to call and make another appointment but don't think about it during the day.

My 17yo dd has congenitally flat feet. I have done some research on it, and it is thought that congenital flat feet might not present as much of a problem for the joints as acquired flat feet do. Having said that, I did have our podiatrist make custom orthotics for dd when she was around 9yo. (Cost about $400.) They were very uncomfortable for her and I ended up not making her wear them. FFW to a few weeks ago when I ran across a "computerized gait analysis" set-up at Sam's Club. The owner is an overweight former football player who developed foot pain that the doctors couldn't seem to help. He got so frustrated he started researching for himself and came across this gait analysis idea. It helped him so much he went back to school so he could become qualified to run his own store. Basically what this system does is have you walk across a pad (which is linked to a computer) quite a few times. The pad measures pressure and the computer creates a picture of your feet in mid-stride, and the computer in turn directs a machine that creates a custom orthotic to correct the gait. Theoretically, at least, this should create a much more effective orthotic than the passive types cast by podiatrists in the office. The cost of this computer-generated orthotic is under $200, with a 60-day refund of all but $70 if they don't work out for you.

The overweight football player took his orthotics out so I could see the difference in his stance without them -- huge difference in his ankles and knees. You could see how this would cause problems for him, especially with all the weight he was carrying. With the orthotics his stance was perfect.

Theoretically, accustoming a child to a correct gait with orthotics should prevent future joint problems. I wish I could report on my dd, but she hasn't started wearing the orthotics yet. She will start this weekend. I need to find out fairly quickly if she is going to be able to tolerate the correction -- which in her case, is quite big -- so we can get them adjusted or returned within the 60 days. If she can get used to them, I think they will protect her joints -- especially when she plays tennis.

Some members of my extended family have flat feet and have never worn orthotics or had any pain caused by the flat feet. They don't wear special shoes or make any other accomodations, and some have been excellent athletes. Others in the family have back problems, and those of them who also have flat feet have needed orthotics to prevent extreme back and leg pain. If your ds is comfortable without the orthotics, I'd wait. If he develops pain, get them. Just my $.02. :)

I just recently took my 9 yo ds to the podiatrist for a similar situation. Both dh and ds have flat feet. DH works on his feet all day so we had special orthotics made for him ($300). Doctor said that we do not need to have them made for ds, especially since his feet change sizes every 6 months. He recommended that we buy some "better" orthotics from their pharmacy that were about $30 and put them into a good pair of tennis shoes, like New Balance running shoes. Since both dh and ds also have really, really wide feet. Think Flintstones!

I also asked about wearing flip-flops all the time. Especially since my ds favorite shoes are none, flip-flops or water shoes (why???, I don't know). He said that this shouldn't affect his feet at all. He may have more pain at the end of the day, but it is because his feet are having to work a little harder than if he had the support from proper shoes and orthotics.

I haven't yet purchased the orthotics for him yet since it is summer and I can't even get him to wear shoes. I figure that I would look for shoes in the fall when he might wear them.

HTH ;)