Menu

Problems with the vowels in AAS

momee

I am doing AAS 1 with my 6 year old and she has slowing been picking up the additional vowel sounds (other than short and long). We are plugging away at lessons and are just over 1/2 way through and all she has needed to know is the short so far. I do not see any problem moving forward as long as you are working on them additonal sounds.

I don't think she has to master them, but she should be working on mastering them. I don't know about AAS, but Spalding requires daily written and oral drill of phonograms, which eventually assures mastery.

Ellie is right.

In level 1 it focuses on their first sounds, with the last lesson in the book introducing their long sounds. The 3rd sounds and additional sounds of y will be covered in later books.

Heather

Is my daughter required to learn all of the sounds for a vowel, by heart before we move on?

No. Just keep reviewing one at a time until she has all of them down. Most of the time you do want to master a step before moving on to the next, but this first step is an exception. As long as your child knows the consonants & at least the first sound for letters that have more than one sound, you can move on and continue working on them. For the vowels, I like to work on one at a time until they are mastered because they are more involved.

Page 16 of the latest Level 1 says:

"Steps 1, 2, and 3 contain pre-spelling skills that can be worked on simultaneously. After that, each Step needs to be mastered before moving on to the next Step."

Merry :-)

Edited by MerryAtHope

Thank you all.

This -

"Page 16 of the latest Level 1 says:

"Steps 1, 2, and 3 contain pre-spelling skills that can be worked on simultaneously. After that, each Step needs to be mastered before moving on to the next Step."

is exactly what I needed to know straight from the book.

Thanks again for such helpful replies.