Menu

Can I freeze Basil Pesto if I've already put in the parm?

I made some pesto last night for some portobella sandwiches (which rocked paired with the grilled mushrooms, roasted red pepper and smoked provolone, btw - fwi; try it :)). But I've got too much left over and everything I read says to freeze it before adding the cheese. What say you? Will it still be good if I freeze it even though I've already added the parmesan?

I freeze mine, too. Little tip from my Italian MIL - pour a thin layer of olive oil on top of the basil before you put the lid on and freeze it. Keeps the basil from blackening and prevents freezer burn.

I made a bunch over the summer and had planned to freeze it . . . but it was just toooooo good and we ate.it.all.every.single.delicious.bite! When I was planning to freeze it, I read that the best way was to do just what msnative's monther-in-law does. The article said to put the pesto into ice cube tray, cover with olive oil, freeze.

Regular-sized ice cube trays were too big for my needs, so I got a try with smaller-sized holes, which I use exclusively for freezing herbs. Another plus is that sometimes the herbs stain the tray, so it doesn't bother me if the "for herbs" tray gets stained.

Sometimes I want the basil flavor but I don't want all the calories and fat of the pesto, so I freeze the basil alone. I've done cilantro this way too. I puree them, spoon into ice cube tray, and add a bit of water just to hold it together. I then freeze the tray. When it's all frozen, I pop out the cubes and put them in a zip-loc in the freezer. It's super easy to add one or two to sauces, and it really makes a difference in the meal.