Menu

Kids and BO

OK, this isn't the most pleasant topic, but I am looking for advice from parents who have already "been there" with their kiddos. . .

My 9-year-old son has some pretty smelly armpits lately. It kind of took me by surprise, and I don't know if deoderant is safe or even recommended at this age! Of course, I'll talk to his doctor, but thought I'd see what other parents have done with their own. Is this normal or is he a little early for BO?

Thanks!!

I'm not sure about normalcy, but you can use natural deodorizers and be fine. I wouldn't suggest any antiperspirants (many contain aluminum which can lead to health issues down the road). My 10yo is needing it at times!

We use a natural deodorant made from baking soda and coconut oil and I feel perfectly safe using it with my 10 yo. Works like a charm, too!

My ds (now 11) started having occasional stinky armpits at about the same age as your son. I found a natural deoderant likity split and encouraged him to get into the habit of using it every day. I remember when I started having body odor and it took *forever* to convince my mom that I needed deoderant. I was mortified, I became very withdrawn at school because I didn't want anyone there to smell me. My brothers teased me about it.

My son started wearing his at 9ish. We only buy the ones labeled "Deodorant", nothing with the words 'antiperspirant'. We also began making him bathe every night and use deodorant soaps in the particularly stinky areas. He really likes some of the bath gels for men made such as Gillette. I guess they make him feel more grown up LOL.