Menu

Cub Scout leaders- Need ideas, please

Because I have no better way to spend my free time, I signed up to be the Tiger Cub den leader this year. I am looking forward to it, and right now I have 7 boys in my den, with a possible few additions. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for activities I can do with them as the boys are arriving to the den meetings while we are waiting for everyone to get there.

My older son was a Tiger last year, and his den leaders were a little lost and most of the meetings were chaotic, to say the least. I'd like to avoid the same thing happening this year, and have a plan of action.

Any fun games or other things we can do?

Thanks!

MacScouter saved my life numerous times!

The great thing about Tigers is they are SO easily impressed :) Leaf rubbings, paper airplanes, take a "leave no trace" walk around the neighborhood picking up garbage, or a "leave no trace" scavenger hunt (have them find a candy wrapper, a plastic bag, an empty can, etc - bting disposable gloves...). You get the idea. Also - wear them out right off the bat - play a game that involves running..... lots and lots of running. And then, about 1/2 way through the meeting, do that again :)

Because I have no better way to spend my free time, I signed up to be the Tiger Cub den leader this year. I am looking forward to it, and right now I have 7 boys in my den, with a possible few additions. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for activities I can do with them as the boys are arriving to the den meetings while we are waiting for everyone to get there.

My older son was a Tiger last year, and his den leaders were a little lost and most of the meetings were chaotic, to say the least. I'd like to avoid the same thing happening this year, and have a plan of action.

Any fun games or other things we can do?

Thanks!

Does the new Cub Scout 2010 meeting helps include a pre-meeting idea? I seem to remember the older themed Program Helps had one. You should ask your pack if they have a copy of the new Cub Scout 2010 helps for you. You can also download the meeting plans for individual meetings here. The idea behind these plans aren't to bind leaders in lockstep. They are to equip leaders with a basic roadmap that will help you see that all of the scouts do what they need to earn their rank badges.

Also, the leader training that used to have to be done at a district or pack leader's meeting can now be done online. Go to Myscouting.org, register and then look in the E-learning section. You'll find Youth Protection, Den Leader Fast Start and Tiger Den Leader Specific training there.

Welcome to the club. I signed up as a Tiger leader 7 years ago, have led every level of cub scouts at one time or another and now have two boy scouts and a cub scout. It's a good program.