Menu

Latin for Children not working for child #2...

Heather in WI

My oldest (5th grade) went through Latin for Children A-C and is now happily working through Latin Prep 1.

I started Latin for Children A with my middle this school year. He's in third grade. We are five weeks in and I am hating it. Hating, hating, hating it. URGH. It moves way too fast for him, with too much vocabulary thrown at him with too little explanation. He does love learning Latin and this is not due to his not trying. He enthusiastically practices his flashcards every day and willingly will conjugate & decline with me.

I want to ditch LfC. I ordered Latina Christiana on the spur of the moment, (I took a look at Prima Latina, but it looks a little slow and too babyish for him.) but now I'm freaking out a bit and wondering if I should consider something else? Eek. Help! Any ideas would be helpful.

My 3rd grader also struggled with LfC last year. We dropped Latin for the year and focused on other skills. This year in 4th, we're on our 4th week of LfC A, and it is going much more smoothly. I really think she needed an extra year to mature before the program made sense to her. I would suggest either slowing down the pace this year or wait a year and let him get some more English grammar under his belt before trying again. HTH

My oldest son (age 11) has worked through Prima Latina, Latiana Christiana 1 & 2, and First Form. He's doing really well and likes Latin. He will be starting Second Form in a couple weeks. He has used all the DVD's, flash cards and chant cd's. Couldn't do it without those items.

My second son (age 9) went through Prima Latina, but hated Latina Christiana 1. I switched to Latin For Children Primer A last year, and he really enjoyed it. We're on to Primer B this year. We use all the extras.

So much for my idea of "investing" in one program to use for all my kids. I'm hoping I don't have to purchase yet another program for my 3rd son.