Menu

Pulling a child out of public high school

Hello,

A little background, we homeschooled all four of our kids up to 2008 when we decided to put them in school for various reasons, our oldest was in the 9th grade. They have appeased their curiosity and I'm just about done with my degree (Jan) and I am tired of the attitudes and boy conversations so my intent is to pull them out of school when the semester is over (they want me to do it today but I don't have any curriculum).

My question is, my oldest will be in the middle of her junior year when I pull them out, is this too late to pull her out and put effort into homeschooling her the rest of high school? Has anyone else pulled a child out during their junior year? Would it be better to pull her out sooner rather than waiting until the semester is over? She would prefer to stay in school but she's not upset over me taking her out either when I told her it was my decision and not hers. I'm trying to figure the logistics of it academically and with record keeping because she really wants to go to an out of state college (not sure if it will happen $$) but I don't want to be the one that hinders her in that possibility. Any thoughts, tips, or suggestions?

Thanks

Tina

Edited by hsmom84

You'd be amazed how fast you can pull curricula together. Pull them now!

Just my opinion ... :)

Seriously, if you put together your courses and all today and tomorrow, you can place orders tomorrow and probably have what you need by Wednesday. It's not even the end of September. You can make up the time easily.

What materials did you use when you were home schooling them a couple of years ago? Do you want to continue with the same type, or are you looking for something different? If you list what courses you'd like to do, and what requirements - secular, Christian, etc - you'll get lots of suggestions and you'll even get suggestions on where to order them for good price and fast delivery. This hive is amazing!!!

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I have a few thoughts on this and experiences to share.

My son went to public school freshman year and was homeschooled the rest of high school. I included his public school classes on my transcript so that his GPA could be calculated accurately on one document. If a school asked, I would have had the public school send a transcript as well. DS applied to four schools, two state and two private, and no one asked for the public school transcript. He was accepted at all four schools.

A friend pulled out her DD second semester of sophomore year. The student is now a senior and dual enrolled at community college.

Where I live second semester does not begin until the middle of Feb. To me, that seems like a long time to wait. Also, beginning then would be after second semester begins for online classes and community college classes. That is another reason why I would recommend pulling her out now.

Hi,

School started for them on July 20 they will be done with their first quarter this week. The end of the semester is before the Christmas break. I don't know if that will change your previous comments.

You've given me lots to think about and I might consider pulling them now since they have a 2 week break starting next week however I have three classes left until I'm done with my degree so I kind of wanted to wait until I was closer to being done and I won't be able to order curriculum for at least a month due to our financial situation right now both of those reasons are my main reasons for waiting.

Thanks for your advice

Tina

I haven't btdt, but I have a friend whose daughter was homeschooled K-5, then went to middle school and high school in the ps. She decided this year she wanted to be homeschooled for her senior year. Her son went to ps last year for 9th and decided to come back home this year too. I don't think it is ever too late if you are all committed to the idea.

It seems to me you could pull them at the quarter, homeschooling on the cheap with free courses, the library and just buying what you most need, or you can wait until the semester break. It sounds like convenience says the semester break, but you have to decide if convenience is the priority. It may be if you feel like they are fine for 10 more weeks or it may be worth it to get them out. Only you can make that call.

I pulled my oldest for his junior and senior years. Part of his classes were mine and the other were through FLVS. The colleges had no problem accepting all 3 on his transcript.

Is this child having problems? Grades? Behavioral? I know you mentioned a few issues but do they obtain to her? If she's isn't having problems, I would be hard pressed to remove her from school if that's her preference. But if she is having trouble, then it shouldn't be any problem taking her out and going from there.

I'd think of signing the oldest up with American School. It would only take a few more courses to earn a degree from them, and she can apply for financial aid, even while underage, and maybe start junior college next year as a full freshman, or you can spend the year homeschooling without having to worry about recordkeeping.