Menu

The Lively Art of Writing for a 7th grader?

I always pause before recommending anything to you Jean because I'm overwhelmed at the thought of homeschooling more than 2 or 3!! (How many are still home? 7?!) But Lively Art is a short and to the point book -- if your 7th grader is ready for, then hand it on over!

By the way, I can't believe your baby is already 5. I remember back when you were Quiver of 9:)

I always pause before recommending anything to you Jean because I'm overwhelmed at the thought of homeschooling more than 2 or 3!! (How many are still home? 7?!) But Lively Art is a short and to the point book -- if your 7th grader is ready for, then hand it on over!

By the way, I can't believe your baby is already 5. I remember back when you were Quiver of 9:)

LOL time sure does go by fast! Yes, we are homeschooling 7 right now and so far this year has been hectic. I really don't think my 12 yo would be ready for it now that I think about it a bit so I think I will use it with my 14 and 16 year olds and save it for him.

I always appreciate your advice, thank you!

Edited by Quiver0f10

Lol, Jean, I too was thinking about how your kids have grown as I was reading your sig line. Dontcha just wish we could shift down to 1st gear and s l o w this thing down?! ;)

Anyway, have you used Lively Art of Writing before? I think it could be used by a 7th grader (and I know you are re-thinking this) but it does require a fair amount of teacher time investment. I mean, in a way, all writing instruction does. Lively Art has discussion questions that need to be reviewed and very generic writing prompts that, for us, had to be discarded and/or re-thought.

HTH,

Lisa

Lol, Jean, I too was thinking about how your kids have grown as I was reading your sig line. Dontcha just wish we could shift down to 1st gear and s l o w this thing down?! ;)

Anyway, have you used Lively Art of Writing before? I think it could be used by a 7th grader (and I know you are re-thinking this) but it does require a fair amount of teacher time investment. I mean, in a way, all writing instruction does. Lively Art has discussion questions that need to be reviewed and very generic writing prompts that, for us, had to be discarded and/or re-thought.

HTH,

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa. I haven't used it before and I have only read through the first 3 chapters so far.

Oh I do wish I could slow it down. I don't know what is different this year but I feel so disjointed and it's only week 3 LOL!

are that based only on my personal experience and observing maybe five other students that I've known well enough to judge, I think a student might understand the theory at the most surface level, I'm guessing that it would be a rather exceptional seventh grader who would *really* get the depth and detail in LAW.

I'm using it with my composition-delayed (dyslexic) 10th grader. I think we could have used it last year.

My dd, otoh, whose language centers all function perfectly and was mature in her ability to grasp conceptual material as a seventh grader, would have probably done fine with it. I would consider her an outlier, though. (In seventh grade she was taking a high school TOG co-op class geared for upper grades, and she was writing better than the majority of the class.)

By way of comparison, this level of detail in essay writing is something she covered later as a 9th grader in Torrey's writing lab component of their online classes.

Without knowing your students, I'd bring the younger one "along for the ride," but revisit the book in another two years if needed. It's a delightful little book.

I skimmed this book very quickly in the bookstore yesterday. My attention span is SHORT right now and I am very busy. It looked totally unappealing to me.

I'll have to take another look at it when I'm not in need of something, more spoon fed.

7th grade? Definitely not as independent study!