Menu

Writing program for 3rd

kwickimom

I am doing FLL for grammar and SWO (possibly switching to AAS). If I drop WWE, what are some good writing options?

I am looking into WriteSource. Any other suggestions? I was going to follow WTM and stick with WWE, but its not working and I want something that teaches her to write paragraphs and things like that.

I tried Write Source with my girls, but it was rather overwhelming and we dropped it. (I'm easily overwhelmed :D ).

I found a syllabus for Write Source through Hewitt Homeschooling and now willing to give Write Source another try and fold my son in as well. The syllabus is for the older version of WS.... I don't know if you are going to use the older or newer version. If you would like I could scan a few pages in (if I can get my scanner to like me and work) or snail mail you a copy of a couple of pages to give you an idea of how they spread the work out.

I tried Write Source with my girls, but it was rather overwhelming and we dropped it. (I'm easily overwhelmed :D ).

I found a syllabus for Write Source through Hewitt Homeschooling and now willing to give Write Source another try and fold my son in as well. The syllabus is for the older version of WS.... I don't know if you are going to use the older or newer version. If you would like I could scan a few pages in (if I can get my scanner to like me and work) or snail mail you a copy of a couple of pages to give you an idea of how they spread the work out.

I would totally love that, thank you! Whatever works easiest for you when you get time thanks. I was most looking forward to writing and so was my DD and I have to pick something else because WWE is driving me batty :)

I'm using WWE 3 with my daughter because we used WWE 1 and 2 and she likes it because it is 1) straightforward, 2) the stories are fun, and 3) it doesn't take much time.

However, I had bought Writing Tales a year and a half ago to use with her for 3rd grade because I had heard so many good things about it. I'm still trying to figure if there's a way to squeeze that in at some point, because it looks like a really great program to me.

Lisa

We're using Write Source 1 and love it. If you want me to post our schedule on my blog, I can do that. Not many people here use Write Source, so I could help out in that way. I'd love to see the schedule/syllabus that someone else mentioned as well.

We just started WS 1 last week and did WS K over the summer. My daughter asks to do this program everyday and wants to do several lessons at once!

We're using Write Source 1 and love it. If you want me to post our schedule on my blog, I can do that. Not many people here use Write Source, so I could help out in that way. I'd love to see the schedule/syllabus that someone else mentioned as well.

We just started WS 1 last week and did WS K over the summer. My daughter asks to do this program everyday and wants to do several lessons at once!

Angela- I have been leaning towards Write Source since seeing your blog, and was waiting to see how it is going for you. I would love to see a schedule! I want to keep with FLL even if it overlaps things because I feel it is thorough, but I dont want to go on major overkill. i was thinking of getting the student book and skills book.

Oh one question...the ebook is way cheaper but I dont have a color printer..do you think it is wirth the money to get the hard copy?

Hey ya'll! I keep trying to scan the syllabus into the computer....but my printer really hates me right now.... I'm going to try and reload the software and try again.... bear with me.

As for cost.... I've gotten all my write source stuff off of Amazon... I've bought the 1999 version for about $5.00 for the textbooks!

I didn't know it came in e-book format, where do you get that? Is that off the Great Source site? Let me know how it goes to purchase an eEdition online. I bought mine from Rainbow Resource.

I just posted my schedule. I basically just followed the student workbook order. As for the Daily Language Workouts, I'm just choosing a few sentences each day to put up on the board for my daughter to fill in/correct. The first weeks are too simple, so I'm really just skipping around in that. I didn't even include it on our schedule.

I didn't know it came in e-book format, where do you get that? Is that off the Great Source site? Let me know how it goes to purchase an eEdition online. I bought mine from Rainbow Resource.

I just posted my schedule. I basically just followed the student workbook order. As for the Daily Language Workouts, I'm just choosing a few sentences each day to put up on the board for my daughter to fill in/correct. The first weeks are too simple, so I'm really just skipping around in that. I didn't even include it on our schedule.

Unless I am misunderstanding (I really hate their website, it doesnt explain a lot) Here on the website close to the bottom it says Student Book eEdition online.

Thanks for posting your scan! That schedule does make the program look very complicated. They use different abbreviations than they do in the latest versions, but I think I understand most of it.

It was pretty intimidating for me at first....but after stewing about it for a year I finally think I have a daily plan that will accomplish all of it. Also.... each grade listed in the scan actually is for a 2 week period... so I am spreading things out so the kids aren't overwhelmed.

Ok I bought Write Source grade 3 student book and skills book super cheap off of Amazon (older editions)

I reaaallly like the looks of Writing Tales, but it seems heavy on the grammar and I really love FLL and dont need grammar. I know I could skim through or skip the grammar, but I hate to buy the program and not use half of it while FLL is working so well.

Thank you all for your help and schedules. It was a HUGE help, as I have been losing sleep over writing! It was driving me batty. i will post back about how I like Write Source.

I would also love to see a schedule of how you are implementing this!!

Satori,

I am looking at bout WriteSource and Write Shop primary. Did you look at Write Shop? If so I was wondering what made you pick write source?

Satori,

I am looking at bout WriteSource and Write Shop primary. Did you look at Write Shop? If so I was wondering what made you pick write source?

:bigear: I would also like to know this. I generally prefer e-books (to save on the cost of shipping) and have been eyeing WriteShop Primary for this reason, but WriteSource books (atleast the older versions) are available for a few dollars used. As always, having more choices makes decision-making difficult. :-P

We are using PLL with great results. The program really causes your child to think. The dictation exercises are difficult so we use them as copywork for 3 days, then dictation and study the misspelled words, then a final day of corrected dictation.

This book teaches writing and language in a way that is natural to a 3rd grader. They can learn essays and formats and such as late as 8th grade and still be on track for high school. A 3rd grader enjoys journalling as well.

I so highly recommend PLL.