Menu

making a switch early in the year? (from TOG to HOD)

Leimarie

We are now 5 weeks into our school year (our first at home), I am schooling a 3rd, 1st and Ker. I purchased the first unit of TOG Y1 and we're just not getting "good" use of it. Our library doesn't have many of the recommended lower grammar books and I really don't have it in the budget to buy all of them. From what I am seeing of our typical school days, there is just no way we'd fit much of what is offered in without schooling many hours of the day (which would drive both the children and I insane).

I've been looking more and more at Heart of Dakota and have my husband's blessing to make whatever switches are needed to make things work the best for our family. HOD seems to be the speed I can handle in caring for and educating our young family. Has anyone else made a switch to HOD from TOG? I still really like Tapestry and feel we will be back to it once our children are a bit older. I just think that with 3LG students and 2 toddlers we're just not getting "our money's worth" of TOG. Does that make any sense or am I just rambling now...:tongue_smilie:

Insight from some veterans greatly appreciated! FWIW, none of my local hs-ing friends have used either TOG or HOD so I am kind of in pioneer territory here. LOL

Thanks!!

I am planning on starting TOG for 5th grade and 2nd grade, we are doing HOD now. TOG looks really great, but looked like too much work until you have a bit older students to justify the effort.

We are enjoying HOD, it is working well so far. I did history on my own last year. We are just using it for Bible, science, geography, and history, and some of the poetry. They are each doing separate LA and math.

Beyond is working for us. I bought a few additional books from the next level up for my 3rd grader. (It is also American History, although most of the extra books I bought were not historical.)

I have no idea of the cost of HOD, but could the expense go towards a few books for TOG?

I encourage you to take these younger grammar years to prepare yourself for the future, b/c you won't have time to do so then. This is a benefit of TOG you may be missing now as you work through the FOG. Keep in mind also, most people say Year 1 is the toughest to get books from the library.

I hear people love the gentleness of HOD and perhaps that is your desire. Even so, remember, you can make TOG as gentle as you choose. With a large family (I have 5 + 3 bonus students) TOG is invaluable.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I haven't used TOG, but I wanted to comment on HOD. We have tried hundreds of different curriculums before HOD. I know that HOD is perfect for us, but it won't be perfect for everyone. It is gentle, but it is definitely still full. My kids are learning everything they need to know and more. More than that, I like that it flows well. Several curriculums I tried were skipping and jumping topic to topic, but HOD flows so smooth all day. Each subject perfectly goes with the others.

TOG samples look similar to a mix of Sonlight and WP to me, and I was overwhelmed with the sheer number of things you were given as choices to do each day.

Well, I am having difficulty placing my 7 and 8(almost 9)yos without having to my multiple levels in HoD ($$$?!?!?!). I do LOVE ToG and totally see the value that is there. I am considering purchasing MoH to use as our "textbook" to fill the holes I have in not being able to find(and fit in) all of the books I am not able to find at our library. Also the pace of MoH seems to look a little better for us at the ages/stages we're in.

Thoughts? Anyone use MoH with ToG?

I have no idea of the cost of HOD, but could the expense go towards a few books for TOG?

I encourage you to take these younger grammar years to prepare yourself for the future, b/c you won't have time to do so then. This is a benefit of TOG you may be missing now as you work through the FOG. Keep in mind also, most people say Year 1 is the toughest to get books from the library.

I hear people love the gentleness of HOD and perhaps that is your desire. Even so, remember, you can make TOG as gentle as you choose. With a large family (I have 5 + 3 bonus students) TOG is invaluable.

I have already purchased a number of the books I wasn't able to find at the library, it just seems that every time I look another few weeks ahead I need MORE books, and we're not even getting through the ones we already have. I think between the two options price would be about equal, but with HoD ending up more complete.

I am not TOTALLY sold on the idea of a "complete" curriculum, but with this being our first year at home there is an appeal there.

As for the desire for gentleness, I am NOT against a rigorous program. ;) We do not know how long the Lord will have us educate our children at home and I want them to be prepared for whatever the next step may be, whether it is a return to the public school, or college down the road. I'm still settling into the "reality" of home education and really trying to find what truly works for us so that we're not just muttering through and actually enjoying the process. Make any sense?

Well, I am having difficulty placing my 7 and 8(almost 9)yos without having to my multiple levels in HoD ($$$?!?!?!). I do LOVE ToG and totally see the value that is there. I am considering purchasing MoH to use as our "textbook" to fill the holes I have in not being able to find(and fit in) all of the books I am not able to find at our library. Also the pace of MoH seems to look a little better for us at the ages/stages we're in.

Thoughts? Anyone use MoH with ToG?

Yes, HOD is not easy to combine, although I know some people make it work. For me, I crossed HOD off my list when I realized it wouldn't work for me. (as I really want to combine)

As for TOG, we plan to start Year 1 next year. Can you not just purchase the Core books and have those be your "spine" and then if there are extras such as the craft or activity books, read alouds, etc. available at your library, you could get those as well. Are you checking the alternate list for books at your library as well? My understanding is that you don't have to get ALL the books on the list each week, in fact doing so you may overload yourself?

I have already purchased a number of the books I wasn't able to find at the library, it just seems that every time I look another few weeks ahead I need MORE books, and we're not even getting through the ones we already have. I think between the two options price would be about equal, but with HoD ending up more complete.

I am not TOTALLY sold on the idea of a "complete" curriculum, but with this being our first year at home there is an appeal there.

As for the desire for gentleness, I am NOT against a rigorous program. ;) We do not know how long the Lord will have us educate our children at home and I want them to be prepared for whatever the next step may be, whether it is a return to the public school, or college down the road. I'm still settling into the "reality" of home education and really trying to find what truly works for us so that we're not just muttering through and actually enjoying the process. Make any sense?

Makes perfect sense :001_smile:

Yes, HOD is not easy to combine, although I know some people make it work. For me, I crossed HOD off my list when I realized it wouldn't work for me. (as I really want to combine)

As for TOG, we plan to start Year 1 next year. Can you not just purchase the Core books and have those be your "spine" and then if there are extras such as the craft or activity books, read alouds, etc. available at your library, you could get those as well. Are you checking the alternate list for books at your library as well? My understanding is that you don't have to get ALL the books on the list each week, in fact doing so you may overload yourself?

That's why it's off my list, too.

Oh, and I think Siloam has a schedule for using MOH with TOG. Perhaps PM her?
She does and there is also a schedule for SOTW (a TOG suggested core for UG) that correlates w/ MOH. TOG would provide maps to go w/ MOH nicely, as well as lit. suggestions. We really enjoyed MOH in lower grammar years, using it w/ SOTW. It was by using those 2 combined that led me to TOG, as I was suddenly planning all that for multiple levels.

BEST Wishes in your hunt for what best serves your family.

HOD Beyond should work for you without combining. My 3rd grader and K student are both enjoying it! I bought a few harder books for my 3rd grader to read on her own from the next level, but we are doing most of our books for read aloud anyway and my daughter just reads random books on her own for the most part.

(The next level up is also American history, and they also had some good book choices in other ares that my daughter is enjoying.)