Menu

What are your favorite sources for hsing materials? sm

gandpsmommy

Sing N Learn is a wonderful little company that specializes in all things audio to help teach and learn. It is a homeschooling family business run by Sarah and Fred Cooper. They tend to answer their own phone and are wonderful to deal with.

I also love Timberdoodle, though ti has already been mentioned.

The Baldwin Project is one of my favorite free internet resources and has been such a blessing to me that I am now helping to transcribe a book for them.

Another free and helpful site for me has been Old fashioned Education which outlines K-12 with free old resources and great books lists.

I love catalogs, they allow me to look and explore at any time. I get catalogs from the companies of products we do use and ones we will use in the future but I also get catalogs from places like ETA/Cuisnaire and other more schoolish type places. I love to neat items for the kids- science and math manipulatives and catalogs like ETA give me an opportunity to see what is out there.

Catalogs and magazines are one source for me, this board is another, the Rainbow Resource catalog is great but I only use the printed version when I really want to sit down and read about different programs and compare them without online distractions. There really is SO much out there and it can be overwhelming but if you find something you like, usually you can find it cheaper or recreate it yourself. There are other items where it is just better to purchase instead of trying to recreate. The catalogs & magazines (Homeschool Enrichment, The Classical Teacher by Memoria Press) allow me to see what is out there and whether or not we want to incorporate it into our homeschool.

Evan-Moor and Teacher Created Resources have catalogs. :)

I like Ambleside Online and Sonlight, and these boards.

Yard sales and the ongoing library sale help me try out other resources as well. In the spring/summer, teachers often donate their sample texts and reproducible books to the library sale, so we've picked up some neat things.

I can't look at catalogs because I am too easily overwhelmed. I ordered a Rainbow Resource catalog once, took one look at the size of the thing and passed it along to a friend. :o