Menu

Dd forgot to homeschool code on ACT

My dd, althought she was reminded as she left, forgot to use the homeschool code. Instead I think she used the school code of where she took the test.

Can anyone tell me what will happen? I assume her results will go to the high school and hopefully they will given them to me?

Will her results still be posted online in her ACT student acct?

I would call the school guidance department and tell them what happened. I think they would want to get the paperwork changed so it doesn't impact their stats. To make sure that they want to see her not listed as one of theirs, you could put it in such a way as that you know she wasn't well prepared and don't want to bring down their stats. :D They should be on the phone to the college board people right quick. :lol:

My dd, althought she was reminded as she left, forgot to use the homeschool code. Instead I think she used the school code of where she took the test.

Can anyone tell me what will happen? I assume her results will go to the high school and hopefully they will given them to me?

Will her results still be posted online in her ACT student acct?

Since kids come from all over to take the test, how would that specific school's code even be known?

I'm pretty sure they use the code that is on their admission ticket which is whatever code you entered when you registered her.

I just asked my kids and they said they just copy off whatever number is on their ticket.

HTH

The ACT isn't College Board, but I would be proactive about calling the ACT people directly and getting it changed.

I'm not familiar with the ACT but I know this has happened frequently with the SAT and the College Board has been very nice about changing it. I would think the ACT people would do the same.

Since kids come from all over to take the test, how would that specific school's code even be known?

I'm pretty sure they use the code that is on their admission ticket which is whatever code you entered when you registered her.

I just asked my kids and they said they just copy off whatever number is on their ticket.

HTH

Your kids are doing it correctly, but what sometimes happens is that the proctors mistakenly tell all the examinees that they must use the school code (The proctors often write the school's code on the board and assume that since most of the examinees are from their school, everyone there will need to use it.) Sometimes the examinees forget and/or are unduly swayed by the authority figures and copy down the school code even when they have the correct home school code available.

I have heard of cases where school employees actually change codes after mistakenly deciding that some students were confused. My ds knew that this was a possibility, so when his proctor announced that she would check and change codes he made sure to remind her when he turned in his forms that he was using the hs code NOT the local high school's (he also gave her an extra printout with the correct code). Never take anything for granted is my motto!

FWIW, my son took the SAT at a large high school in Albuquerque. The proctors there were aware that they were dealing with students from a variety of schools, and gave appropriate instructions. He took the PSAT and ACT at a small town rural high school where the proctors just assumed that everyone taking the test was one of "their own". I just warned ds that he was more or less on his own, that it was his responsibility to look out for himself, and not to make the mistake of thinking that adults always know best.

Edited by Martha in NM
clarity & add info.