Menu

Need help finding food chain books for a preschooler

HootyTooty

My four year old has taken a major interest in what everything eats. Does anyone have any suggestions on books or activities we can do during this latest obsession.

We play hungry-hungry hippos and count how many marbles our hippos have eaten.

We have read the Hungry Catepillar and Everyone poops (since all that food has to go somewhere)

But I would also love nonfiction ideas.

Magic School Bus Gets Eaten is about food chains. You could also check your library for the video.

I have the complete series on DVD, so I will pull that one up.

There's a Let's Read and Find Out Science book called Who Eats What? My child loved it in preschool.

Thank you. I think I might go over to amazon and see where this book leads me.

Not a book, but how about visiting a farmer's market/farm and discussing that re: food chain

good idea.

Edited by HootyTooty

It's not a book, but my little guy loved the card game "Chomp" when he was interested in food chains. It's a sea creature card game, like the game "War." The sea creature higher up the food chain takes the pile...

I also found some online printables for him about the food chain-- maybe from Enchanted Learning, but it's been a while and I can't remember exactly which site(s) they were at now.

Fun stuff!

There's a Let's Read and Find Out Science book called Who Eats What? My child loved it in preschool.

YES! This is a great food chain book for littles. It has lots of great visuals of food chains, like a hawk with a smaller bird inside, with a caterpillar inside, with a leaf inside. Also, my children enjoyed looking at the different food chains with arrows and then food webs with arrows in various directions, and then drawing their own food webs.

This is what I ended up doing:

Our book basket has the following books:

Who Eats What by Lauber

Food Chains by Greenaway

Trouts are Made of Trees by Sayre

Hungry Animals

Mealtime for zoo animals

That's why we don't eat animals (we have members who are vegetarian)

What happens to a Hamburger

Everyone Poops

Poop: A Natural History (this is for much older kids but I simplify it for him)

For activities:

We are watching a Magic School bus video

And making food chain pictures from images I found and drawing a line to who eats what.

On another page I have a picture of him and images of things he eats and where they come from.

Bobbie Kalman/Crabtree Publishing have several food chain books:

Kalman, What Are Food Chains and Webs? (Science of Living Things series)

This is listed for ages 4-8, but IMO it might be advanced for a preschooler.

Crabtree also publishes a food chain series that is easier. There are 12 books in all -- Coral Reef Food Chain, Rainforest FC, etc.

Amazon has these. But it is also worth downloading the Library catalogue from the Crabtree website (it has more books than the Classroom catalogue). You can find all the books in a series more easily than on Amazon.

Off the top of my head, I can also recommend a book called Cactus Hotel.

And we got a food chain game from RR, called Into the Forest -- not too expensive and a nice way to learn.

Bobbie Kalman/Crabtree Publishing have several food chain books:

Kalman, What Are Food Chains and Webs? (Science of Living Things series)

This is listed for ages 4-8, but IMO it might be advanced for a preschooler.

Crabtree also publishes a food chain series that is easier. There are 12 books in all -- Coral Reef Food Chain, Rainforest FC, etc.

Amazon has these. But it is also worth downloading the Library catalogue from the Crabtree website (it has more books than the Classroom catalogue). You can find all the books in a series more easily than on Amazon.

Off the top of my head, I can also recommend a book called Cactus Hotel.

And we got a food chain game from RR, called Into the Forest -- not too expensive and a nice way to learn.

Thank you. I'm sure we will return to this topic in the future. So I copied all the above books for when he is much older.