Menu

Bob Jones DVD Math 4 Only

Homeschooling6

I'm not understanding how the dvds work for math grade 4. I have searched their site and just don't get it :tongue_smilie:. I currently have three dc using Bob Jones Math 4. My 3rd and 4th graders are combined and my 7th grader is a few chapters a head of them.

I am having a hard time teaching BJ math. I need a more scripted TM :glare:but I do want to use BJ math.

Anyway, all I want to use is BJ's math dvd course with my boys but at the BJ website I can't figure out what to order. If using the dvd will I have to purchase the books all over again? With the dvds are they using the current 3rd edition?

Anyone have a link:o

Appreciate any help.

BJU does not sell subject-only DVDs for the elementary courses - to get the Math DVDs, you would have to lease the entire Grade, with all the courses!

BJU materials are VERY thorough - which Grade 4 Math materials do you already have? Did you purchase the Subject Kit? Tell us what you have, and maybe we can help without you having to spend $1000 for all the subjects you don't want :tongue_smilie:.

J

OK, so you have the Teacher's Manual? BJU has some of the most well-scripted TMs around! I don't know if any other publisher will get more detailed than that...

J

I know but it doesn't tell me exactly how to explain things. It does say elicit this or that, so I end up reading what's in the manual (red print) and I start losing one of my boys. I think the teaching before the workbook is taking to long for him.

I read and prepare the night before, so I don't know......

I think this is where you would order the online version. If you click on resources, you can see sample sessions.

http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Math-4-Online-Subject-Kit____2240513

If I purchase the online program which will include one set of TM, workbook, test etc. is there anyway I can coordinate the 3rd edition with it? I don't mind doing the extra work or teaching, so that's not a problem. I just need to see how it's taught. I understand that BJ TM is very thorough but it still takes me forever. If I could watch the lessons, it would really help.

After poking around some here is what I found out; the online is like a class. Which started in Aug:confused: is that correct?

I can't use the Hard Drive unless I need the whole package, correct?

Sorry, I'll go back and look around some more.

Thank you for your patience :)

Here is what the website says:

"Math 4 develops students’ understanding of multiplication, division, decimals, and fraction concepts by using manipulatives. Students continue to develop skills in estimating and problem solving. An optional chapter on pre-algebra introduces the addition and subtraction of integers. Mrs. Lara Cropsey teaches this course.

Recommended Viewing Schedule five 30-minute lessons a week; 165 lessons per year

Register now! Your textbooks will be shipped right away. You will receive an email from BJU Press Distance Learning Online regarding login information for the online courses which will be available June 1. You will have through December 2011 to complete your online learning program.

Item #Title102699 Math 4 Home Teacher Packet (2nd ed.)256180 Math 4 Student Worktext (2nd ed.) (Copyright Update)078675 Math 4 Student Materials Packet (2nd ed.)079129 Math 4 Tests (2nd ed.)080697 Math 4 Tests Answer Key (2nd ed.)"

It says from June 1 to Dec. 2011, that's where I am confused.

Edited by Homeschooling6

Okay, I think I can help you.

This is the first year that you can order just one elementary online class. I am doing it this year for Science 4, and we LOVE it for many reasons, which I can expound upon later. However, for your situation, I would recommend you stick with your new edition math books and you really will warm up to teaching the math after a bit of time. I think I made weekly file folders in advance (one of them was yellow for me, the teacher, and then I had one (or more... your choice) for my students. Then I had a manipulative bin with ziplocked baggies that were labeled for the place value kit, money kit, etc.

If you really want to go with the online teacher, you would have to sell all your 3rd edition math books (which is easy to do as they are very popular on ebay) and then you would get one set of books with the online class (we didn't get a TE for Science 4, however, as the TE is available online). I recently discovered that I could've purchased a TE for 1/2 price if I had wanted one (which I do like to have).

This past year I used the 3rd edition Math 3 with my dd and have owned the 3rd edition of Math 4 but sold it since I ended up going with the whole DVD program for 4th grade for son. He is now using the 5th grade DVD's and my dd will be using the 4th grade that we already have in the house for an additional $349 lease from BJU. Personally, we did not really care for the 4th grade math teacher as much as we loved all the other teachers, but she got the job done. As it turns out, my dd learned so much from me using the 3rd edition 3rd grade math, that I have allowed her to skip a whole grade and go into the 5th grade math DVD's (still 2nd edition) and it is working out fine so far.

Back to the online classes. We are doing Science 4 because I had used Science 3 for 4th grade. All online classes have the same available start and stop dates for this school year (June '10 to Dec. '11), no matter when you start it, I believe it will cease in Dec.'11. We love the online class because my ds gets to blog with the other kids in the class (kind of as a reward for finishing his schoolwork). Also, I feel like he is taking a computer class, a typing class, and a how-to-study with textbooks class all in one... oh yeah, with science being studied, too! :D My son says he wishes he could do all his classes this way for 6th grade (don't know about that yet, but we'll see!)

Blessings... gotta go eat supper but will check back to see if you have any further questions!

Brenda

Okay, I think I can help you.

This is the first year that you can order just one elementary online class. I am doing it this year for Science 4, and we LOVE it for many reasons, which I can expound upon later. However, for your situation, I would recommend you stick with your new edition math books and you really will warm up to teaching the math after a bit of time. I think I made weekly file folders in advance (one of them was yellow for me, the teacher, and then I had one (or more... your choice) for my students. Then I had a manipulative bin with ziplocked baggies that were labeled for the place value kit, money kit, etc.

If you really want to go with the online teacher, you would have to sell all your 3rd edition math books (which is easy to do as they are very popular on ebay) and then you would get one set of books with the online class (we didn't get a TE for Science 4, however, as the TE is available online). I recently discovered that I could've purchased a TE for 1/2 price if I had wanted one (which I do like to have).

This past year I used the 3rd edition Math 3 with my dd and have owned the 3rd edition of Math 4 but sold it since I ended up going with the whole DVD program for 4th grade for son. He is now using the 5th grade DVD's and my dd will be using the 4th grade that we already have in the house for an additional $349 lease from BJU. Personally, we did not really care for the 4th grade math teacher as much as we loved all the other teachers, but she got the job done. As it turns out, my dd learned so much from me using the 3rd edition 3rd grade math, that I have allowed her to skip a whole grade and go into the 5th grade math DVD's (still 2nd edition) and it is working out fine so far.

Back to the online classes. We are doing Science 4 because I had used Science 3 for 4th grade. All online classes have the same available start and stop dates for this school year (June '10 to Dec. '11), no matter when you start it, I believe it will cease in Dec.'11. We love the online class because my ds gets to blog with the other kids in the class (kind of as a reward for finishing his schoolwork). Also, I feel like he is taking a computer class, a typing class, and a how-to-study with textbooks class all in one... oh yeah, with science being studied, too! :D My son says he wishes he could do all his classes this way for 6th grade (don't know about that yet, but we'll see!)

Blessings... gotta go eat supper but will check back to see if you have any further questions!

Brenda

Thanks Brenda, maybe I'll keep chugging along and see how it goes. I have taken all the workbooks apart to file :001_huh: so not sure about the whole selling thing.

Is the Hard Drive available as a single subject for a 13 month. I wouldn't mind using th 2nd edition one for Josh and the 3rd for the two boys. I could sit in on some of the lectures to get some ideas.

Is the Hard Drive available as a single subject for a 13 month. I wouldn't mind using th 2nd edition one for Josh and the 3rd for the two boys. I could sit in on some of the lectures to get some ideas.

I think it's only the online version that is available as a single subject purchase/leasing.

It certainly is nice to let the teacher teach and then just be available to make sure your dc is following and understanding okay. I was tempted to continue on with the 3rd edition with my dd and let my ds be the only using the DVD's (since it was 2nd edition), but since I can keep the DVD's for an additional year at a great price, it just made more sense to let my dd use the DVD's. I really enjoy them a lot (I like watching them, too). The only downfall I really see is that it makes for a long day to use the whole program on DVD's. I am using TOG for history this year instead of Heritage Studies, just to break things up a bit and because we found HS to be a bit dry.

So you have 3 dc that will all be able to use BJU Math 4 this year?? Not sure if I am understanding you correctly, but WOW if you are.

Brenda

I think it's only the online version that is available as a single subject purchase/leasing.

It certainly is nice to let the teacher teach and then just be available to make sure your dc is following and understanding okay. I was tempted to continue on with the 3rd edition with my dd and let my ds be the only using the DVD's (since it was 2nd edition), but since I can keep the DVD's for an additional year at a great price, it just made more sense to let my dd use the DVD's. I really enjoy them a lot (I like watching them, too). The only downfall I really see is that it makes for a long day to use the whole program on DVD's. I am using TOG for history this year instead of Heritage Studies, just to break things up a bit and because we found HS to be a bit dry.

So you have 3 dc that will all be able to use BJU Math 4 this year?? Not sure if I am understanding you correctly, but WOW if you are.

Brenda

Yes, my 7th grader is having so much trouble with math (actually across the board.) I want to keep my 3rd and 4th graders together to help me out some:D

Thank you for your help. Maybe next year I can purchase the online course. The only thing I still don't understand is; with the online course, can you start it at anytime of the year?

Calvert has an online course that I will look into as well. I wanted to use it with my dd but they don't have the 5th grade one out yet.

Yes, you can start the online course whenever you get 'hooked up' to receive it, and everyone has the same end date of Dec. '11. If you don't like that end date, my thinking is that you wait to start up until June '11 or later and then you would have until Dec. '12 to complete the class.

I can see that it would really serve you well to have the math class online or by DVD or whatever, since you have more than one dc using the same math level. I had tried to combine my dc in math 2 years ago, and it didn't work (mostly, I think, because I was trying to teach them the class both at the same time, which put too much pressure on the youngest... and I don't think she was quite ready for it). This year I am trying again to combine them w/ BJU Math 5, and it's working out great so far... but I let them 'do' their DVD class separately, and then I just sit in w/ my dd to make sure she is getting it. Actually, I also sit in with my ds for the first part where they conduct review math facts, just so I can hear him say them aloud to make sure he can do them quickly... I like how they are timed and the dc has to give the answer before the answer and the next fact appear on the screen.

It's also fun because BJU picks a central theme around each year's math course. In 5th grade, it is aviation and my dc (and I :001_smile:) are learning right now about different types of clouds and which kinds can give turbulence to a pilot... along with following a running story about a pilot named Mandy and her adventures at the start of each new chapter. Last year, in BJU Math 4, it was adventures on the sea with Captain Bailey.

Sorry to hear, BTW, about your 7th grader having so many difficulties. The beauty of home schooling is that you can go back and rebuild where you see a crack in the foundation or just to solidify some concept. I know my ds wanted to zoom ahead in the Horizons math that we were using (he liked being able to tell his friends he was doing pre-algebra in 3rd grade), but he was NOT doing well at retaining basic math facts, so we switched to BJU and the 'forced' daily reviews have really helped him out a lot (plus I really like how he is learning math terminology better than I ever learned... I never paid attention in school as to what was the divisor or the dividend or minuend or whatever, and knowing these terms I think would help a lot on SAT's (for example).

Nice chatting with you, BTW!

Brenda

Oh no! Oh no! Run as fast as you can away from BJU Math 4 distance learning!

I love BJU, we use Distance Learning (even had the satellite for a while), but Math 4 is one of the WORST classes in the bunch. Mrs Cropsey is horrible. She may be great in person, but it just doesn't translate to dvd. I cannot say how awful this class is :cursing:

My 4th grader struggled through this class for more than a month, and would come to me knowing nothing about how to do a lesson. Finally, I sat down and watched a lesson with him. Yikes. BAD.

If you really want an independent program for a 4th grader, look at TT5 or Saxon 54 with DIVE cd's, then maybe BJU Distance learning again next year for 5th and up. (Or, if you have time to teach it yourself, the BJU curriculum itself is great. The TM is invaluable.)

Thanks, I'll just keep chugging a long. I am not looking for an independent math program for these three boys but something to help me understand the lessons better. I read from the tm but am not good with explaining further for my 3rd grader. I stink when it comes to teaching math. I thought if they had the online teacher it would help. For goodness sakes we are working on place value with the two younger and fractions with my older, how difficult can it be to teach those two concepts:blink:

I have no problem teaching McRuffy's 3rd grade math, so I don't know what my problem is with BJ. Maybe it's the way they present the material. I already purchased and invested in Bob Jones 4, so I'm going to stick it out. Everything I hear about BJ math is 'five' stars.

I think I'll try either Bob Jones or Calvert's online math with them next year. It would be nice if BJ had dvds like MUS. Hey, maybe I can purchase a used MUS dvd, something to think about.............

Edited by Homeschooling6

Yes, you can start the online course whenever you get 'hooked up' to receive it, and everyone has the same end date of Dec. '11. If you don't like that end date, my thinking is that you wait to start up until June '11 or later and then you would have until Dec. '12 to complete the class.

Brenda

This is what I don't understand, so if we started now sept 10 we'll have it until Dec 11, is that correct? a total of 12 or 13 months. Okay, I think I get it. For some reason I was thinking June11 to Dec11:tongue_smilie: