Menu

Can anyone explain the PBS (no...not the public tv station, LOL!)

BatmansWife

I was looking for a book on google and a link took me to the PaperBack Swap. I read the little "book" that explains the site......but, I just don't get it. Another "duh" moment for me, I know. :blushing:

It sounds like it doesn't cost anything to sign up, but that they might ask you for a donation or something sometime throughout the year???

So, do you mail your books to others at your own expense and what you get in return is choosing a book from someone else that they mail to you at their expense? Or, do you only mail a book to someone if they have a book that you want (like an actual swap)? How does this all kinda even out??? See.......I just don't understand. :001_unsure:

The only cost to you is when you mail a book out. I've never received any emails asking for a donation.

When you join, you list 10 books that you have around that you don't need anymore. They have to be in good condition (no water damage, no markings in the book, etc). You are given 2 credits right at the start.

If someone wants one of your books, they request it. You mail it (at your expense) to them. You get a credit for sending the book.

You can use a credit to request a book from an entirely different member. They then mail the book (at their expense) to you.

If you want a book that no one has available, you can add it to your "wish list". This basically puts you in a waiting list. If you're in the first position in the list, the next time someone posts that book, it will automatically be offered to you.

I love paperback swap! I can get rid of books I don't need and get books I would like. It's basically like buying books for the cost of shipping and finding good homes for your unwanted books.

When you sign up, you are asked to post a few (I think it is 7, not sure) books that you are willing to send to members who request them. In return, you are given a few credits to start with.

How it works is... You decide you want a book you find on the site. If you have credits in your account, you can request it from the member. That member pays the postage fee to send it to you. When it arrives, you post that you received it, and the other member receives 1 credit to use in whatever way he wants. He is not obligated to order something from you.

In the other direction, folks will request a book from you (at a cost of 1 credit to them). You mail it, paying for the postage. When the other member receives it, you will get a credit. You do not "trade" books with a member. You buy from whomever you want, and anyone can buy from you.

Hope that helps! We've used it a lot over the years, to decrease clutter and pick up lots of paperbacks (especially ones used for Sonlight).

Kirsten

Well, I signed up yesterday and got some books listed today. I actually listed 26 books today! Whoo hoo! I got requests for 3 of my books within the first hour or less. I see that 5 more of my books are on wishlists for people (I guess that means I just wait to see if anyone requests them??). Anway, I was so surprised how fast I got some requests.

:party:

how much, generally, does it cost to mail a book?

I know the site is paperback swap, but do they let you list hardbacks, too??

Robin in NJ

You mail it Media Mail (unless it's a small book and can be mailed 1st class) and it's usually less than $3.

Yes you can list hardbacks. They even accept audio books. :)

Well, I signed up yesterday and got some books listed today. I actually listed 26 books today! Whoo hoo! I got requests for 3 of my books within the first hour or less. I see that 5 more of my books are on wishlists for people (I guess that means I just wait to see if anyone requests them??). Anway, I was so surprised how fast I got some requests.

:party:

Ok, now I have to look at the books you listed! :)

If anyone would check my profile page (homeschool-mamma)......do you see my little homeschool logo with the pencils??? Do you see my name and address and phone number??? I see these things when I look at my own profile.....but I've set it so that others aren't supposed to see my name, address, phone number. But, how do I know what others are seeing, kwim (do they see something different than what I see)?? I also don't like that "it" (the site) put the books I've listed into My Favorite Books and My Favorite Authors. I mean....how rude, :lol:. I'd rather make my own choices for those things, thank you very much (they are not my favorite books or my favorite authors). So, do you see those books in My Favorite Books and My Favorite Authors in my profile?? It's just driving me nuts that I can't "see" my profile the way others see it.....so I wonder what they see. :tongue_smilie:

I love PBS and have a HUGE want list - the max at 200. I've found that some books I really want have a long wait list. You don't have to list any books to make a wish list. So, I would encourage people to join and start on their wish list. You can monitor it to see how you're moving down the list. Then, you could post some books. Or, you can post a few books to see how you like it.

You also get credits for referring people and listing a certain amount of books. So, that's a great way to try it out.

I'm careful about what I get from PBS. I don't get books that I know I could find at my local Goodwill for $.99. I've been blessed to receive alot of books off my wish list. Also, I think it's great fun to see where you are sending books and where you are receiving them from.

Have fun!