Menu

How many overnight guests can you accommodate?

I've been thinking about getting one of these nested bunk beds for our guest room. That way the floor space is free when it is not being used as a guest room.

Hannah, thanks so much for sharing this link! What a fantastic idea! Please do update us if you find out more about them. I wonder if one would make the smallest one a standard twin mattress size and then the bigger ones would just have room on the end for books, etc.? (That would be a lot less expensive than custom mattresses and bedding.)

Has anyone actually slept on a futon? I suppose there are brands that are comfortable, but most look like they would be very uncomfortable.

I can relate to the guests who slept on the floor rather than on the sofa sleeper, though it was an air mattress we avoided. Even the expensive air mattresses are VERY uncomfortable for me. I have a bad back, though, so maybe that's why.

Any comments on portable room dividers?

http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1C1SKPC_enUS357US357&q=room+dividers&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1366&bih=651

without causing hassle to anyone else in the house we can sleep 1 as we have a spare top bunk. My brother sleeps here regularly. He visits when ever he wants with no notice which is fine.

We have a double sofa bed in our living room that obviously sleeps 2 but tends to cause the room to be in chaos for the time the guests are staying as our rooms are small.

Can also maybe fit another few on air beds maybe about 3. So in total at a push 7 maybe. I'd probably put a tent in the garden if any more came.

I have friends who crash in the living room regularly but only for a night at a time.

Very comfy sofa beds do exist. I am sitting on one now. It has a fully sprung mattress and as good as any bed. No bars or anything weird sticking in you. Its similar to this but with a sprung mattress rather than futon. Essentially its two single mattresses attached so they fold lengthwise.

Very comfy sofa beds do exist. I am sitting on one now. It has a fully sprung mattress and as good as any bed. No bars or anything weird sticking in you. Its similar to this but with a sprung mattress rather than futon. Essentially its two single mattresses attached so they fold lengthwise.

What's the brand name of your sofa bed? That sounds like a good idea to have the two mattresses attached. Is your sofa bed a futon?

First, there is no such thing as a comfortable pull out sofa. Maybe when it is brand new, but a mattress cannot stay folded up and remain comfy!

Most air mattresses are not the best. Better than a pull-out imho though. We do have a couple of air mattresses that I find to be exceptionally nice. They are Aerobed mattresses. Caution, I have also purchased some varieties by this same company that are not good. (I returned them.) I routinely sleep on one while in hotels. The two we have now are 3 years old. They weren't cheap, but they have been well worth the investment.

Here, without putting anyone out of a bed or on an air mattress, we could double up and make room for 6 on beds. Each of my dc has a full or queen bed that they sleep in alone, and we have a pull out sofa. We also have a large LuvSac that makes a pretty comfy sleeping place for a child. (I've slept on it several times myself.) Then, there are sofas which are okay for sleeping on, but not great.

We can accomodate 2 on the living room sofa, 1 on the playroom sofa, one on the air mattress. We could fit another air mattress in the living room. If you add a couple of sleeping bags in the dining room, add another 2. We have no extra beds. We could fit another 7 uncomfortably if we absolutely needed to. If they had tents and were willing to sleep outside (which can be done here 10 months out of the year), we've got room for at least 8 tents in the front and 3 tents in the backyard. Now, if any of the above mentioned guests want to include bathroom usage, we'd only really have room for about 3 more max, maybe 5 if they were willing to share the bathroom with the others. If no one wants to contain their toiletry paraphenalia, we've only got room for 2 at a time, maybe 3 for a short, short, short visit. This we've learned the hard way.