Menu

Choosing math for algebra

Hi, all,

I need suggestions for an Algebra 1 curriculum that we will be using to afterschool our gifted 11 yo 6th grader. He is entering middle school this year and will be studying Algebra 1 in school and we want a great program studying the same at home. We have always afterschooled with Math U See up to this point and my son has done extremely well, scoring in the 99th percentile on standardized tests. I was originally going to stick with it for Algebra also, but after looking at the samples I'm just not sure there is enough content at this level. I also don't like how heavy it seems to be with manipulatives (or building with the blocks), since he doesn't need all that. So I have been looking at Saxon Algebra 1 instead, but that almost seems too heavy for an afterschooling math program. Anyone have any experience with either of these programs, especially with afterschooling? Other programs you think may fit the bill?

Thanks,

Jen

Have you looked at Kinetic Books Algebra I? I really like their math programs. Since you would be using this for afterschooling, I would definitely get the regular version instead of the hs version (regular version is $40, but hs version is $80). You don't need the added features that are in the hs version. I would skip the end-of-unit problems and just have him do the instant feedback problems.

http://www.kineticbooks.com

We use AoPS. Their online classes are too much for my son during the school year, so he works on their workbooks at a pace that suits his schedule, something akin to fits and spurts.

AoPS Algebra 1 covers some of what you'd find in many school's Algebra 2 courses as well.

At some point, your son might also like AoPS's Number Theory and Counting and Probability courses which are shorter than Algebra and Geometry. My little guy finished them in a summer.

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/

Last of all, you might want to sign your son up for the AMC-8 test which usually is held in the middle of November. It's 25 questions and 40" long. If your school doesn't offer it, see if you can find one that does, or see if the school could somehow accommodate him.

http://amc.maa.org/e-exams/e4-amc08/amc8.shtml

And, yes, AoPS offers material to help study for it. We also bought a set of old tests from the AMC site, but I believe some might be available for free now.

HTH! :)

If you are wanting to supplement with DEEPER problems then use the Art of Problem Solving.

If you want another text to supplement problems and perhaps add different--more detailed-- instruction (supplement the text his school is using) then I suggest Introductory Algebra by Margaret Lial... 7th or 8th edition will work--student text is all that is needed (has answers).

For a gifted child who wants more math, I recommend Art of Problem Solving.

They teach all the basics - and much more. We love the intro to algebra book; it is fun to work with, has challenging problems and great explanations. Plus, the author is clearly excited about math, and it just radiates through every page.

DD used it for 7th grade algebra.

Have you looked at Kinetic Books Algebra I? I really like their math programs. Since you would be using this for afterschooling, I would definitely get the regular version instead of the hs version (regular version is $40, but hs version is $80). You don't need the added features that are in the hs version. I would skip the end-of-unit problems and just have him do the instant feedback problems.

www.kineticbooks.com

:iagree: This was my first thought as well. We use it as a supplement to our other HS math, and it would also be perfect for afterschooling.