Menu

Post your favorite salsa recipe!

I don't really follow a particular recipe, but I do have a particular method. If you're interested, I'll describe it, but if not, no worries. It's time consuming, and some people think it's weird, so I understand if it's not your thing! :D I make lacto-fermented salsa. It gives it a nice fresh, tangy kick, plus you get all those healthy probiotics. You can do it with any recipe. I generally just use the basics: tomatoes (seeded or it gets too watery), onion, garlic, jalapenos, and cilantro.

I want to hear about it! Do you can that?

Yes, but not the common cooking-canning method. It's raw. Sally Fallon calls it "super raw" because it actually increases the vitamin and enzyme content.

Basically, just make your salsa as you usually would, using 1 Tablespoon of salt (which kills the "bad" bacteria) and adding 1/4 cup of whey (which provides the "good" bacteria) per quart. Leave an inch between the top of the salsa in a quart-sized mason jar, and the lid. Cover tightly and leave at room temperature for two days, and then transfer to cold storage.

To make the whey, you start with a large carton of whole, plain yogurt. You do not want flavored for this, and low-fat or fat-free will not work. I learned that the hard way, when the store was out of whole. Place a colander so that it's suspended over a large bowl, line the colander with a tea towel or cheese cloth, and pour in the yogurt. Over the course of several hours, the whey will drain into the bowl, and cream cheese will remain in the colander.

Edited by GretaLynne

Salsa

Ingredients

1 clove garlic

2-6 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed, chopped

4 small tomatillos (1/2 C.)

6 plum tomatoes, diced

1 medium onion, diced

½ green pepper, diced.

2 tbs. chopped parsley

2 tbs. chopped cilantro

Juice of 1 lime

½ tsp. salt

Directions

In a food processor, finely chop garlic and jalapeno peppers. Add tomatillos and chop again. Remove the mixture and combine it with the remaining ingredients. The salsa can be served immediately, but the flavors will blend nicely if it’s chilled for several hours or overnight. .

Hands down...the recipe from The Pioneer Woman!!

I keep this salsa in my fridge all year and make it an average of 3 times per month. It doesn't last long. :) :)

If you don't like it hot, either double the recipe minus the jalapeno or halve the amount of jalapeno that you use.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/restaurant-style-salsa/

Hands down...the recipe from The Pioneer Woman!!

I keep this salsa in my fridge all year and make it an average of 3 times per month. It doesn't last long. :) :)

If you don't like it hot, either double the recipe minus the jalapeno or halve the amount of jalapeno that you use.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/restaurant-style-salsa/

Ooooh, that does look good! I'm going to give this one a try.

Easy and good:

1 large can diced tomatoes (plain) with juice (28 oz?)

1 or 2 large fresh tomatoes, roughly-chopped

1 large yellow or white onion, roughly-chopped

Fresh jalapeno to taste, rough-chopped, seeds intact or removed (depending upon out how you want it)

Fresh cilantro to taste

Fresh, crushed garlic to taste

Juice of a lime

1 tsp of sugar (optional)

Kosher salt and freshly-cracked pepper to taste

Dump all but sugar, salt and pepper into the food processor. Pulse until it is the consistency you desire. Pour into container, and add sugar, salt and pepper to taste.