Menu

I give up on A Swiftly Tilting Planet ...

It is just too hard. I think partly it is because of the level it is on and partly because it is fantasy. It is very difficult for me to follow it. I did enjoy A Wrinkle in Time and A Wind in the Door, but this one is just too much for me.

I think even Seven Daughters and Seven Sons was a bit difficult, but I was able to at least get the storyline.

Like I need any more suggestions, but what else is good to read around a 5th grade level? This is for me by the way. My daughter is reading Jane Eyre, The Iliad, and some other "grown-up" books right now.

How about some Scott O'Dell books? Island of the Blue Dolphins is his most famous, but there were several more by him I remember enjoying. I believe the reading level would be what you want, but with story lines still interesting to an adult. His books are more along the lines of historical fiction.

If you are not turned off fantasy entirely, you may want to try the Frank L. Baum Wizard of Oz books. To me they are the sort of book that you never outgrow. I feel the same way about any book by Roald Dahl (James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc.).

Don't be afraid to try out some regular fiction from adult selections either. The reading level for a lot of popular fiction is not really much more difficult than books you have already read like Wrinkle In Time.

Also collections of short stories are a great way to ease into more difficult work. I am a big fan of short story collections.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Fantasy is not my strong suit either.

Some you might enjoy:

The Mixed up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and others by the same author.

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George.

The original versions of Hans Brinker and Heidi.

The Original versions of Howard Pyle's books

Some of Jean Fritz books

Animal books like Black Beauty, The Black Stallion, Smokey the Cowhorse, Old Yeller, Rascal, Ring of Bright Water, Homeward Bound, Call of the Wild.

It is just too hard. I think partly it is because of the level it is on and partly because it is fantasy. It is very difficult for me to follow it. I did enjoy A Wrinkle in Time and A Wind in the Door, but this one is just too much for me.

I'll admit it. I managed to get through A Wrinkle in Time -- once as a teen and once as an adult -- and I didn't get it either time. I always hear what a great book this is, and it won the Newbery, but it leaves me scratching my head. I haven't been able to get up enough enthusiasm to try the other two.

I'll admit it. I managed to get through A Wrinkle in Time -- once as a teen and once as an adult -- and I didn't get it either time.

I was very well-read as a child, but this was the one and only book that I could not make it through. I still have my copy of it on my bookshelf, and I look at it once in a while, all tattered from several moves and yellowed by time. I want my next try at it to be with my daughter, but I'm trying to figure out when the right time would be. I'm thinking of waiting until 7th grade or so.