Menu

Latin ? for a newbie...

snipsnsnailsx5

This is my first year homeschooling. I've spent months obsessing over curriculum but I finally got it figured out, for now. I've already made some last minute changes this week. LOL

However, the more I read about Latin the more I'm curious. I hadn't planned on this, but it does make sense. I wish *I* had been taught Latin as a child because of how language has its root in Latin. It would have made learning Spanish a bit easier too.

So what do you use to teach Latin? Are there programs or curriculum? What age do you start?

Thanks!!

Latin is very popular with homeschoolers. There are new programs every year, even. :001_smile:

My top recommendation for a mom new to Latin is Latin for Children, if you want a program. I wrote a blog post about how to get started in Latin without a curriculum, and it also gives some of the basics of teaching Latin: Teaching Latin.

I see you've received some good advice. I wasn't brave enough (or organized enough) to go on my own, so I am using Getting Started with Latin for my 3rd grader. It has very short lessons (1 concept or word per lesson) and is inexpensive. And it's not a workbook (important for me to re-use).

Have fun!

Amy

We have really liked Getting Started with Latin.

I have absolutely zero Latin experience, and we started late! DS is in 7th, but it could work for all grades.

The price was great, and the author has over 100 short lectures free as mp3 files on his website with pronunciations and tips!