Menu

Accredited High school options

My son is in 8th grade this year but we plan to enroll him in PS next year. We want him to have some HS experience, but do NOT want him there for 4 years. We want him to graduate early and pursue college credits by 16 if possible.

I am trying to figure out how to get him some credits this year that will transfer to the PS. I have looked at BYU high school courses and other correspondance courses as well as NARHS. I am leaning towards NARHS because I am happy with the curriculm we use and do not want to switch. Everytime I look at the correspondence courses I get bummed out cause I dont want to change how we do things. We are very CM, doing mostly Ambleside Online. We use IEW and MUS and Apologia. I want to continue with that, but I am willing to document what I need to to get him High School credits.

Are there other options out there?

Thank you!

UT Austin offers HS credit by exam. They offer exams for most of the standard HS courses in math, science, English, history, & geography. The exams have to be proctored and I think they cost about $45 each; you would need to take two tests (1st & 2nd semester) per course to get a full credit. You could also check if your PS would accept CLEPs? NARHS may be the cheapest option, though, if you don't mind the paperwork. Maine only requires that you document 80 hrs per course, so you could theoretically accumulate a lot of courses per year for the flat yearly fee, compared to paying per-course exam fees.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno