Menu

Another math sequence ?

My dd took Pre Calculus with Veritas Press last yr (sophmore yr). This is the course description:

This course in pre-calculus mathematics is designed to prepare students for the study of calculus. Topics include a review of Algebra II concepts; quadratic relations and systems; higher-degree functions and complex numbers; sequences and series; probability, data analysis, and functions of a random variable; trigonometric and circular functions; and triangle problems.

They used Foerster's Algebra 2 and Trig classic edition text.

She did well in the class with a final average of 97 I think.

She wants to go into Aeronautical Engineering.

Several have told us to wait until college for calculus.

This yr, her junior yr, she is taking AP Stats.

I want her to be able to test into Calculus one for college which is scheduled for their 1st semester. If she has to take a lower level math 1st it will throw her engineering schedule off.

Although the course she took is called Precalculus, is it really trig?

Should she take a true precalculus course next yr or should she take Calculus so that she can place well?

Although the course she took is called Precalculus, is it really trig?

Should she take a true precalculus course next yr or should she take Calculus so that she can place well?

I don't know much about the book but maybe I can help with Precalculus.

Precalculus is 1/2 year of Algebra III (otherwise known as Advanced Alg.) and half year of Trigonometry.

She did take a "true" Trig. course, IMO.

Then again, I would wait for someone else to answer who knows more about math sequences and colleges and the book you speak of.

Just my .02.

If she's taken a true pre-calculus course already, there would be no reason to repeat it and she should take calculus next. I don't understand why she should wait for college. She'll either test out, or repeat it and have a better understanding of calculus.

I know nothing about Foresters, but I don't understand why they'd use the Algebra II text again for pre-calculus. I'm sure someone familiar with the text will be able to advise you better. :)

I was in your place with ds, and the college said to put him in calculus. Their placement test didn't have much on it, so he did well. It was a big mistake. First of all, he had gaps, they just asked me what we did. Second, the class moves twice as fast. I strongly suggest her taking precalculus at college to get up to their speed and fill in any gaps, she needs all of this material for calculus. It is hard to tackle new material in math, adjust to college, and do the class twice as fast.

If she's ready for Calculus have her do calculus. My dd just started at Washington University in St. Louis and took their placement test. I noticed that you can take it even if you are not a student

http://www.math.wustl.edu/placement/

Are you thinking of doing Calc. at home. My dd did it at the cc. The cc had placement tests to make sure you were ready for calc.

For engineering at Wash U you need to finish your 3rd semester of calc before you begin your sophomore classes.

I'm not sure if this would help or not, but when I was looking into math options with the Foerster text (using Math Without Borders), the man who does the video tutoring (David Chandler) gave me an explanation on the Al2/Trig book counting as pre-calc. A friend of mine wanted to go from that book to Calc, and I was trying to figure out if that was viable.

My question to David was :Is the Foerster Alg2/Trig book a course that includes pre-calc? I don't know if it's appropriate to paste in his answer, so I'll link directly to his response on his Yahoo Groups page (no membership required to read the threads).

It seems like "pre-calc" is this rather nebulous topic, with publishers overlapping various topics in different ways. BUT, given that your child took that course soph year and has the career aspirations you mentioned, I would definitely seek to do some more precalc AND calc by the end of senior year. That might place her out of 1st year calc for college, but if not it would give her a very strong foundation for that class and she would probably breeze through it.

Don't know if this is helpful, but at least it will keep it at the top of the forum list. ;)

It looks like she's already done precalc/trig. If it were my kid, I'd just have her keep going.

There's no reason to retake precalc in college unless your daughter is weak in math. It doesn't sound like she is. There's also no reason to wait on calculus (unless, again, she's weak in that area). Just start on the calculus, this year or next. She can take the AP exam if she gets far enough into it. If not, a lot of colleges (but not all) have a placement exam. Or, she could learn calculus once at home and then repeat it in college. For some kids, that may be an advantage. For others, it may be better to just forge ahead. Some colleges want the students to have a semester of calc before they start physics, so going in with at least one semester can speed up the sequence. Other colleges have them take it concurrently, so it wouldn't speed things up, but might allow her to take other classes.

I'd start calc this year or next and just see how she does. If it's overwhelming, wait. If she's doing fine with it, there was no reason to wait and you should just keep going.

Although I really feel it's a good idea to make sure you do trig and precalc before launching into calculus (seems there has been some advice to the contrary recently), I don't see any reason to hold off on calculus until college if the student seems to be ready. Why wait and forget material? Some kids may need some more maturation, but a lot of them who have done well in math so far don't need to hold back. You and your daughter will need to decide based on her circumstances.

Thanks, they only used the trig portion of the Foerster book for the class. Since the book was titled "trig" I'm not really sure she had a true pre-cal class. I hope that makes sense.

That does make sense, but unfortunately I'm of no help because I'm not familiar with that text and to what extent trig is covered. For pre-calc the algebra should also be covered in greater depth than it was in algebra II. I hope someone can advise you. :)

Thanks, they only used the trig portion of the Foerster book for the class. Since the book was titled "trig" I'm not really sure she had a true pre-cal class. I hope that makes sense.

From what I have read, Mr. Foerster himself recommends that kids do the trig portion of his *precalculus* book if they are studying it at that level.