Menu

Laminating paperbacks?

I use our church library pretty regularly and they use a heavy adhesive laminate to protect the covers of paperback books. I asked about it in the library tonight and she let me borrow a catalog from The Library Store. I was looking at using something like this:

Book Laminate

Does anyone laminate the covers of paperbacks they are planning on having around a while. I have 3 and so there is the potential for some of these books to see quite a bit of use.

My other thought was to cut the bindings and have them spiral bound, but at $5-6, the laminate seemed to be a more reasonable option, since i have several books I would like to do.

Any thoughts?

I always used to put clear contact paper on my paperback texts and some favorite books. Haven't used anything else though, but it did protect the book better and I am able to wipe the books clean too when necessary.

:iagree: ( I do this religiously, and I'm SOME KIND of good at it by now, if I do say so myself!).......there's an art to it, so practice with some that you're less concerned about doing nicely).

I've also used clear contact paper, and it's really worked well. I've even done it on books that were already well-worn, and it helped prevent them from totally falling apart. I don't do it a lot, but for a non-profit's lending library and a few of my kids' textbooks it's been worthwhile.

As the previous poster mentioned, there is a learning curve! Take a good look at one that's already covered to get an idea of how to do it. Remember that when the book is closed it will be longer around than when it's open (if that makes sense). I usually lay the closed book down putting the front cover onto the contact paper, then roll around to the spine, then lay it down on the back cover. If you can use a kind of rolling action it helps with smoothness. Make diagonal cuts in the excess contact paper at all the corners. Wrap the edges around the top, bottom, and sides of the cover, cutting out a section for the spine. Place a strip reinforcing the joint between the cover and the first page.

Enjoy!

I've also used clear contact paper, and it's really worked well. I've even done it on books that were already well-worn, and it helped prevent them from totally

Enjoy!

I'd been thinking of covering a couple of our history encyclopaedia that have seen better days. Good to know I'm not the only one giving emergency 1st aid to books.

The church librarian recommended against using "Con-Tact" brand laminate that you can buy at the office supply stores. She really likes the stuff form the library supply a lot better (the catalog she lent me has Con-Tact in it and she put a big "X" over it). The Con-tact is cheaper, but the other is heavier (3 mil vs. 5 mil). The other thing she said she really likes about it is that it is repositionable for a time if you get a bubble or wrinkle. Since I was looking for a cheaper alternative than spiral binding, I am okay spending a little more, and it still isn't that much per book. I am glad to know that it seems to work though! Thanks!

Tamara, this is what I've been using and it works great! I've really become a fanatic about covering my books. They look so much nicer and really do hold up well with the laminate on them. I've started covering our Foxtrot and Zits comic books whenever we get a new one. My kids LOVE those books and they get a lot of use but you wouldn't know it because of the Reddi Rolls laminate protecting them. They look almost new!

I've found that the 9 1/2 inch size works for just about all paperbacks; having some 12 1/2 inch to cover picture books is handy, too. The Reddi Rolls are less $$$ than the exact product you linked, too! hth :)

Edited by Mothersweets

Tamara, this is what I've been using and it works great! I've really become a fanatic about covering my books. They look so much nicer and really do hold up well with the laminate on them. I've started covering our Foxtrot and Zits comic books whenever we get a new one. My kids LOVE those books and they get a lot of use but you wouldn't know it because of the Reddi Rolls laminate protecting them. They look almost new!

I've found that the 9 1/2 inch size works for just about all paperbacks; having some 12 1/2 inch to cover picture books is handy, too. The Reddi Rolls are less $$$ than the exact product you linked, too! hth :)

Thanks! I was looking at Reddi brand, too since it comes in shorter rolls. Two-hundred inches seems like it should do a lot of books. Now I am trying to find a place that doesn't have outrageous shipping charges. :) The place the librarian recommended is showing over $8 shipping on an $11 order. :tongue_smilie:

Another vote for Reddi-Roll. I've found it's much easier to work with than Contact paper. Just be warned - covering books can be addictive! This is where I've gotten my rolls from, but I haven't ordered in a while, so I don't know about shipping. I also ordered a plastic bone folder (tools and accessories) from them that really helps me get the books nice and neat.

Yes! That is where I ordered the first time I covered books- Vernon Library Supplies. I had forgotten about them, thanks for the reminder! I can order a 400" roll of 9 1/2" for $15.85 (it is over $20 for the 400" roll at the Library Store!) and have it delivered by FedEx ground to WA state for $8.35. Not too shabby! Hmmm, I'm feeling the need to cover some books....