Menu

If you want to focus on writing

what would you use?

Ds really doesn't like to write. He rather go to the dentist than write.

I have him enrolled in an online writing class, but I want him writing more...maybe a paper a week.

I need something that has specific details--for him and me--- on how certain papers are write and what they must have.

BTW: He is in 9th grade and I am not sure what he should know by now.

Edited by Gamom3

I've heard lots of good things about The Lively Art of Writing. I haven't read it, but I think it is supposed to explain what good writing is. It is a very popular book about writing.

I have Kathryn Stout's book Comprehensive Composition. I think its content is similar to TLAoW, but it is written at a level my 5th and 7th graders can understand. It tells about different kinds of writing and explains basic things like how to write a paragraph. A 9th grader could certainly use this book as well. The best sample I found was at www.googlebooks.com . Just type the title in the search box.

Oh.... editing to add.... SWB's writing lectures are also a possiblity for you. I am always so thankful that she simplifies school/teaching. The way she explains writing does not require expensive curriculua or complicated procedures. You can find her lectures at Peace Hill Press.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

I need something that has specific details--for him and me

We used Write Shop for 6th-7th-8th grade. I liked it because of the extremely detailed instructions for the teacher and student. You may read my review here. It can be completed in 1 or 2 years as well.

Good luck! Truth be told, both ds and I would rather visit the dentist than write papers.

We used Write Shop for 6th-7th-8th grade. I liked it because of the extremely detailed instructions for the teacher and student. You may read my review here. It can be completed in 1 or 2 years as well.

Good luck! Truth be told, both ds and I would rather visit the dentist than write papers.

I, too, want to focus on writing with my ds, and that's why I chose Write Shop this year. I like it for the same reasons you listed, and I'm really looking forward to getting started with it.

For a reluctant 9th grader? I'd really do IEW SWI-C. I did it with my ds. We'd watch the videos together and do the assignments then grade each others. It made it more interesting for him and really kept me accountable. I knew exactly what was expected and how to grade it and how much effort it was.

My ds and I did it in 10th grade. After that he did a Bravewriter course and then another online writing course, both focused specifically on essays.

For a reluctant 9th grader? I'd really do IEW SWI-C. I did it with my ds. We'd watch the videos together and do the assignments then grade each others. It made it more interesting for him and really kept me accountable. I knew exactly what was expected and how to grade it and how much effort it was.

My ds and I did it in 10th grade. After that he did a Bravewriter course and then another online writing course, both focused specifically on essays.

:iagree: IEW SWI C makes it easy on everyone!

Karen, which Bravewriter courses did your ds do? Did he like them?

I would also recommend the IEW-C courses. You can do the Intensive the first semester and continue with SWCC (the continuation course) the next semester. IEW's advantages are:

1) the DVDs make implementing the course very easy;

2) Pudewa's teaching takes the mystery and fear out of writing;

3) your dc will work on specific writing skills each week with very specific instructions about how to use that writing tool;

4) the format and construct isn't an issue -- again specific format allows the student to concentrate on words and meaning, rather than filling a blank page.

I've used lots of writing curriculum through the years. I enjoyed our year with IEW and found that it fits a need for many students struggling just to get started. An intuitive or advanced writer might get frustrated by IEW's rules (though I didn't find that with two of mine), but a reluctant or beginning writer will find IEW refreshingly transparent about the tools necessary to create good writing.

HTH,

Lisa

Karen, which Bravewriter courses did your ds do? Did he like them?

He did the SAT prep class and the expository essay class. He wasn't overly enthusiastic about them, but then again he wasn't enthusiastic about any assigned writing. :) I think they helped him get accountability for his writing. I know that he specifically made great progress in transitions between paragraphs, beginning and ending sentences during the classes. I remember that when he started, he was still fuzzy on how to make good transitions and such.