Menu

Can compare TT, Saxon, or Jacobs' geometry for me?

So I know I have asked quite a few questions about math in the past, but I need strong explanations to understand math. But I also need a rigorous program or I get bored easily, which isn't good!:001_smile:

Correct me if I am wrong:

TT geometry: I have heard that it is better than their other programs, and although it's not ap, it gets the job done and prepares you for the SAT/ACT.

Saxon: Integrates geometry into their alg 1 and 2 programs & adv. math as well. Came out with a new seperate geometry course and is just like the 'saxon method".

Jacobs: NOT SURE!!!:lol:

So that's all I really know. Could anyone compare/describe these a bit more for me?

(I found a lot of all this for very cheap, that's why I needed to know now!!)

P.S. Sorry about the title!

Edited by LuvingLife
mistakes

I would love to hear responses on this myself!!

I bought Jacobs (older addition) at a used book fair recently. My only concern is that it does not look "user friendly". Now, it is an older edition. The newer edition has a dvd set that goes with it. The families I know who use it, like it.

I've also heard the Saxon geometry is "redundant". But, I know a few families who are using it and claim to really like it. They say it is "more" complete and explains geometry more thoroughly than the other Saxon books that combine geometry into algebra. Again, the families I know who are using it, like it.

TT is supposed to be independent and easy to understand. I've heard they do a good job explaining and it is a "stand alone" course. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone IRL using it, so I have not seen the books like I have the other programs.

Now, for another thought. Several families I know IRL chose to use MUS geometry this year. They all use Saxon as their math for Algebra and Adv. Math, but they wanted the style of MUS for geometry. Basically, they wanted more of an independent program for that subject and chose MUS.

HTH some! I've got this decision to make very soon, doing Algebra 1 now.

My son used Jacob's Geometry, 3rd edition. It was HARD, but he made it through okay. Probably would have been better if he had a teacher! I was clueless and bought Jacob's for a self-teaching approach, but I don't think that should be how it is used. It's just a ton of Geometry and some of the questions and answers were kinda, well, weird. Very open-ended, touchy feely. He was always complaining that his answer was right too and oh, I remember, that the answer Jacob's gave WAS right, BUT the question was worded very strangely and you just couldn't tell what he even wanted as an answer. Maybe that was the intention, I don't know, but my son probably would have done better with something else.

I have no experience with TT. We are doing Saxon now (with my dd) and yes, it's integrated. I seem to like this for us because it makes for variety to the day. I don't know if I could stand to do Geometry ALL the time. :) I know SHE couldn't!

I am curious about TT though. I hope someone else chimes in on how they like the Geometry. :001_smile:

Edited by LatinTea
This is my 300th post. Woo-hoo for me!

If you are looking for a real self-teaching approach, then I think TT is the one to choose. I've used both Jacobs and TT, and while I think Jacobs was very good, I am not very good at math and so at times felt a little helpless when my kids needed help. TT on the other hand is very clearly explained -- both in the book and the DVD's -- and then if there is a problem your child doesn't understand, they can go to the solutions DVD and it gives a step-by-step solution for each question. This is exactly what we needed.

No experience yet, but I have been researching this exact same question and these exact same programs. We are using Chalkdust for algebra, but geometry just seems to be a different beast. I was never a math person, but I remember actually liking (and understanding) geometry. That doesn't mean I'm ready to teach it without a lot of hand holding. One thing I know from experience is that when we try to do a program that is supposed to be the best of the best, but I find it difficult to implement, it ends up not getting done. As my husband says, a mediocre program that gets done will inevitably be more effective than a top of the line one that sits on the shelf. I am strongly leaning towards TT for geometry because I know it will be easy to use and ds will be able to do it pretty independently. It's not as important to me that his geometry program be the most rigorous out there since it is not crucial to laying a foundation for higher level math in the same way algebra is. We switched from TT algebra I because I heard that it was not going to lay a strong enough foundation, but, as I said at the beginning, geometry is a different beast. I also find it reassuring that Jann in TX says TT geometry is an acceptable option although she does not generally endorse their algebra sequence. I think he will learn from it and it is the least likely to cause us undue frustration.

I think TT and Jacobs may appeal to different types of thinkers/learners. We started out with Jacobs, but the language of it just didn't click with dd. She would answer questions and though I could follow her logic when she explained it to me, her answers did not match what was in the TE. I think it's because Jacobs uses a discovery approach. It didn't work for us since dd went off in different directions than was intended. She would have never discovered what she was supposed to. :lol:

TT is much more straight-forward. There's a similar layout of problems in every lesson. I think it would appeal to learners who appreciate clarity and regularity and like to know what to expect each day. The biggest downside for me was that there was no print solution key.

HTH!

If you are looking for a real self-teaching approach, then I think TT is the one to choose. I've used both Jacobs and TT, and while I think Jacobs was very good, I am not very good at math and so at times felt a little helpless when my kids needed help. TT on the other hand is very clearly explained -- both in the book and the DVD's -- and then if there is a problem your child doesn't understand, they can go to the solutions DVD and it gives a step-by-step solution for each question. This is exactly what we needed.

I think I will order TT geometry, I have heard to be better than their algebra programs. I have their algebra 1 book for review, and it was so easy for me to use! I flew threw five lessons in an hour, with SOS, it took me three hours! But I did learn from TT better ways to solve algebra problems, and I liked their word problems as well.

I think TT and Jacobs may appeal to different types of thinkers/learners. We started out with Jacobs, but the language of it just didn't click with dd. She would answer questions and though I could follow her logic when she explained it to me, her answers did not match what was in the TE. I think it's because Jacobs uses a discovery approach. It didn't work for us since dd went off in different directions than was intended. She would have never discovered what she was supposed to. :lol:

TT is much more straight-forward. There's a similar layout of problems in every lesson. I think it would appeal to learners who appreciate clarity and regularity and like to know what to expect each day. The biggest downside for me was that there was no print solution key.

HTH!

My mom wants me to use Saxon algebra, but I am going to buy Lials as well, if I don't like Saxon , I can continue with Lials algebra 2! Thanks for the help, TT geometry here I come!:auto: