Menu

Spelling?

twoxcell

My kids all learned to hear /th/ and /f/ correctly while counting to 100 every day. Their thirty and forty sounded the same when they first started. We'd make a big game out of sticking our tongues out for the thirty family, then switch to upper teeth on our lower lips for the forty family. Both mouth positions were highly exaggerated at first, and slowly went down to normal as they got better at it. After they were fairly good at it I'd start pointing it out in spelling situations.

Thanks, I think I was getting really frustrated with ds today, because it seems I have been working with him on this forever.:001_huh: He is 7 and reading at a around a third grade level. I have to practically spit when I say the word to get him to realize it is a th word:lol:.

Like SilverMoon we have developed ways to distinguish between the two, exaggerating the movements. TH (vocalized and not) uses the tongue where /f/ rests the top teeth on on the bottom lip while blowing, BTW v is the vocalized version of F.

If you are looking for programs you can try Super Star speech pretty cheaply through CurrClick. LiPS is what my younger two needed, but it is a more intense program and the price tag isn't as pretty. It focuses on how the mount moves to make all sounds, what is similar and what is different. Great program, but it may be more than what you need.

Heather

If you look at this chart showing when the various sounds are considered developmentally delayed, you will see that the "th" sound is one of the last sounds to develop and is not considered delayed until 8yo. I know it doesn't exactly solve your problem, but perhaps it will help you to feel less urgent about it.

Any advice on how to get ds to hear the TH sound correctly. He can read th fine, but does have a hard time pronouncing it also. When I dictate a th word to him he keeps spelling it with a f or an s. We are using all about spelling, and are on level 1 step 13.

Do we have the same child? We are also on lesson 13 and are having the same issue. Except mine just writes a T and then the vowel. When I have him read it he knows that he is missing the th blend. But it seems like every time he just skips it. I am not frustrated.....yet. I figure he will get it in review. (at least I hope so)

My only other complaint per se is that it is hard to distinguish then and thin, pin and pen. I think that will just come with practice too. (again, at least I hope so)

It is very normal for a child who is having trouble pronouncing a sound, to have trouble spelling it. My oldest ds did the same thing and we were told by his speech therapist in kindergarten that this was linked to his speech problem. Your best bet is to do some speech exercises for th. Show him where to put his tongue and have him pronounce th words correctly every day (preferably in the mirror). Brownie

Thanks again guys:001_smile: I was having a rather frustrating afternoon. Baby is sick and was screaming, 2 year old tearing up the house etc. Up until now the spelling has been are easy subject. My dh had worked with him quite a bit in K with some speech practice I will have to have him do some more th practice this week.

Have him watch your mouth as you say it. Then make sure he repeats the word before writing it, and watch his mouth too, so you know he heard and is pronouncing it correctly. It's hard to here one word in isolation sometimes, much harder than a word in a sentence where context fills in the blanks for any mis-heard sounds. When it happens here, I just say, "Oops, you misheard me. Watch my mouth."

HTH! Merry :-)