Menu

stone knapping?

Last week my 6yo son and I read the book "Archaeologists Dig for Clues" and it mentioned stone knapping. Now, he really wants to learn more about that. Does anyone know any good books we could read to learn more? Thanks!

I would google flintknapping (often used as one word) and you will get lots of hits, including some youtube videos. My library has one book called "Flintknapping" by John Whittaker but it is for adults.

I did this in college and it is unbelievably difficult. The entire class cut their hands a lot and very few people were able to get a good, sharp cutting blade. Of course, we only spent one class period working on it. I am sure that you could get better with lots of practice but it is definitely much harder than you would think.

Subbing! My 6 year old spent the hour-long car ride back from Grandma's today trying to turn a couple of rocks into a spear point so his uncle can protect his cows from bears. :lol: Uncle Mike has a gun, and a nice barn, and has never seen a bear on his property, but it was such a cute gesture. He's determined to make some sort of stone tool, so I may as well glean some Hive wisdom so we don't maim ourselves doing it!

Jessica, that's a great story. DS tried hitting a couple stones together, but of course 1) they are the wrong kind of stone, and 2) he's not really strong enough. BUT he did learn that he could mark one rock using another, so he started scraping stones against the concrete and the driveway to make marks. So not a completely useless learning experience.

Thanks everyone else! I'll look into those resources tomorrow. I don't expect we'll be able to do any knapping, if for no other reason than finding the right kind of stone, but I think reading about it will be enough for now. Thanks!

:)