Menu

Am I making 2nd grade science too big of deal?

charlestonmom03

I was planning on doing RSO Earth and Space, but when I sat down to pull together the first ten weeks of materials and look through the curriculum, I feel like my son is going to be majorly disappointed in the experiments and could already answer all of the questions correctly without even doing the experiments. (As in, he will know how each experiment should turn out before he even does it... and he won't consider that to be "real" science.) He loves science, and reads tons of nonfiction science from the library every week (by choice). He knows far more science than I do at this point.

So, what do I do? I hate wasting time, so I really can't see us following through with the RSO plan. But I was feeling so good about actually attempting science this year!

Should I just follow SWB's plans in the WTM? Keep it simple, find some experiments in Mudpies to Magnets? Has someone laid out the plans for this already so I don't have spend my last precious days before school starts trying to pull this all together?

Or is there some other program I should try? (I didn't spend anything on RSO, I was going to use the first 10 lesson plans from their try before you buy option.) Or do I just skip formal science all together, yet again, and tell myself he is more than getting enough from all his library reading? I think he would be a little disappointed by that option, but it wouldn't exactly break my heart.

I think if they already know the information then it is just busy work really. Maybe look at some experiments that will challenge him and go with TWTM recs if you think it fits the challenge requirement. There is nothing wrong with meeting him where he is at. If science is his passion then i think you should encourage further exploration in the area. Just my 0.02c :)

What about getting a Thames and Kosmos experiment kit or some various kits from Home Science Tools in areas he is interested in? Or if the kits are too much, pick up a couple of Janice VanCleave books and make your own experiments. Then you could supplement with all the reading he is doing. Hands-on science experiences are so enjoyable and rewarding for this age.

Have you read any of Bernard Nebel's thoughts on science? He wrote Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. I say, shelve the curriculum and go with your son's passion. If he likes experiments, there are tons of books and online sources. I saw one where you do experiments with candy. I'm teaching 2nd this year....we will be working through BFSU and going with my dc's interests.