Menu

Concerned about dd's (13) seemingly regressive behavior

hsbaby

Dd, 13, is dx with PDD-NOS. She is academically and socially at about a second grade level. She has always had sensory issues, though they seem so minute compared to now. She used to have issues with food textures, tags in clothes, etc. Those seemed to have resolved themselves. In the last year or so she has started with a whole new slew of "odd" behaviors. For example, she will touch her feces (getting all over her clothes, towels, bathroom. I have tried putting appropriate stuff like playdough and magazines in there for her to occupy herself in other ways....all to no avail. Even monitoring is out as she is a terrible sleeper and will do it in the middle of the night. So, that's been going on for the last year. Recently, more odd behaviors are apparent. Just the other day she stood in her room and deliberately peed on her carpet. Her reason? The upstairs bathroom was locked (in an attempt to supervise her) and she didn't want to walk downstairs. So, last night I discover a bag FULL of her hair. OMG....she chopped some bags and gave herself "layers". She didn't even act like she cared we were mad!!! She was so non-chalant. This is not the first time she has done this, but the first to this extreme.

I could go on and on about other things....coloring on walls, cutting up her clothes and bedding...it goes on and on. She never did anything destructive like this before! She started her period last year. Could it be she doesn't know how to deal with the hormonal changes? Anyone else have a new crop of behaviors pop up around the teen years? I really could just cry. Thanks for reading this far!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I have a less impacted Aspie, but I did notice some regressive changes around puberty. My dd is now fourteen and things are evening out a bit. I've read that adolescence often brings and increase in anxiety levels for kids on the spectrum and also that adolescence coincides with beginning seizure activity for a good percentage of ASD kids, so I'd have her checked out, possibly by a psychiatrist, or a pediatrician you trust and like.

I've also read that some parents find an increased need for behavior therapy during these years so that they can get some of the behaviors under control before the kids get too physically large or age out of some insurance coverage of therapy. So that's something else to possibly investigate.

You've got a tough bunch hand to deal with and I send you all my best wishes.

Thank you for your input!!:) We are seeing a DAN! doctor and a psychiatrist at this point, but I think you're right, maybe a psychologist is the way to go. Definitely need someone with better skills than I have to figure out what is causing this behavior and what I can do to alleviate some of it.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I am currently on the hunt for a psychologist. I would also like a new dx evaluation. She was dx 8 yes. ago and things have changed a lot since then. Unfortunately it seems most practitioners think that if you have a special needs child, you are automatically wealthy:(. Seriously, it is hard to find someone that accepts insurance! Those that do have outrageous waiting lists or aren't accepting new patients. Ahhhh, so frustrating!!!