Menu

Strep throat question

My daughter played with another girl 3 days ago. Twelve hours later, the girl came down with a fever and was diagnosed with strep throat. For the past 2 days, my daughter has been complaining about sore throat. She has no fever, or any other symptoms. Should I bring her in to check for strep?

My son never ran a fever with strep. Some people don't even get a sore throat. We had an exchange student who would get a stomach ache insead of a sore throat.

If she has come in contact with it and now has a sore throat, I would assume she has strep and take her to a doctor. This is the advice I would give any of my patients, as a nurse.

Thanks! I just took her in. She doesn't have strep. I am so relieved.

Peds nurse here. Make sure you wait for the culture results before you make that assumption. Stat-strep results aren't always the most accurate, especially at the beginning of the infection. Call back in 48 hours to make sure. They should culture it for 72 hours, but if it's going to be positive, it usually is within 48.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years