Menu

Switching from SWR to AAS.

SnegurochkaL

I switched from Spelling Workout to AAS in March (I think). My son wasn't retaining the spelling words we covered with SWO and we hadn't done a phonics program since he'd just "picked up" reading. Unfortunately that meant wild guessing when there was a word he didn't recognize which meant all names.

AAS is giving us the phonics rules that he otherwise wasn't getting, so his decoding with reading has improved tremendously and he's much more willing to sound out a word.

Spelling is more than just a list of words - there's a connection between them and a clear reason for the list. With SWO even though there'd be a connection for the list, there wasn't anything systematic so it was pretty impossible to generalize rules.

I've been very pleased with making the AAS switch.

Hi, I am just wondering if any of you who used SWR switched to AAS and why? I hear a lot of praises to AAS. What do you like about this program? Thanks.

I use AAS but didn't switch from SWR. I love that the lessons are open and go, incremental, and easy to use. (I wrote about more of my likes in the link in my siggy). There's an FAQ about SWR on the AAS site that might help you decide if switching is worth it. HTH! Merry :-)

Reasons:

1. Easier to implement.

2. Easier to understand.

3. Can do in less time.

4. Made more sense to me.

Actually I switched because my 3rd dd was overwhelmed trying to cover so much at once. She had already memorized the first 26 phonograms, so I thought learning the rest as we went would be fine. Nope, she was in tears daily. AAS is incremental, meaning that after the first 26 phonograms with short vowels you cover one sound or rule at a time to mastery. That worked for her.

The older two could have continued with SWR, and the above is why I switched them. :D

SWR is still a good, strong program. It just was a lot more time than I had to commit and confusing to me, especially with my oldest two kids fighting making logs and doing the finger spelling. Without a clear vision of where I was going and why I gave up.

Heather

Reasons:

1. Easier to implement.

2. Easier to understand.

3. Can do in less time.

4. Made more sense to me.

Actually I switched because my 3rd dd was overwhelmed trying to cover so much at once. She had already memorized the first 26 phonograms, so I thought learning the rest as we went would be fine. Nope, she was in tears daily. AAS is incremental, meaning that after the first 26 phonograms with short vowels you cover one sound or rule at a time to mastery. That worked for her.

The older two could have continued with SWR, and the above is why I switched them. :D

SWR is still a good, strong program. It just was a lot more time than I had to commit and confusing to me, especially with my oldest two kids fighting making logs and doing the finger spelling. Without a clear vision of where I was going and why I gave up.

Heather

:iagree: That's us as well. It's just plain easier to use. I like, and ds is better with, the organization of the concepts and lists. I'm getting the same end result as I would have with SWR, but with a lot less blood, sweat and tears. (and that's just me!) :)

AAS is giving us the phonics rules that he otherwise wasn't getting, so his decoding with reading has improved tremendously and he's much more willing to sound out a word.
Well, that's it. You did it, that's exactly what I needed to hear.

I finally bought AAS, I have been to their website dozens of times, even putting it in the shopping cart. Then closing the tab and deciding to wait, or go looking at other spelling programs.

Not today, ...... today, I finally ordered it.

Now I just can't wait for it to arrive. ;)

:hurray:I think you will like it. I tried using SWR about 2 years ago and it did not work for us at all. Tears! I decided to try AAS this year and it has worked beautifully. Not only has my dd spelling improved but her reading has shown great improvement. Take your time going over the materials and it should be a breeze. It took me a couple of hours getting set up but after that it was smooth sailing......

Blessings,

Penny

Well, that's it. You did it, that's exactly what I needed to hear.

I finally bought AAS, I have been to their website dozens of times, even putting it in the shopping cart. Then closing the tab and deciding to wait, or go looking at other spelling programs.

Not today, ...... today, I finally ordered it.

Now I just can't wait for it to arrive. ;)

Yup... these boards are expensive! :lol:

We worked without the magnetic board for a while, but then bit the bullet and went ahead and got it.

I hope you'll be happy with the program. It's definitely been a much better fit for us - and I wouldn't have found it without the discussion on here, so happy to pass it along!

I switched from AAS to Phonics Road (basically SWR planned for you), and another one of us OG program lovers switched from PR to AAS. You can see our comparisons here: Comparing Phonics Road to All About Spelling

and here is another:

SWR or AAS, looking at long run?

I know that AAS starts out slowly and keeps new words in groups of the rule learned, which helps a lot of kids who struggle with SWR.

Edited by Lovedtodeath