Menu

Did I just sign myself up to possibly have needles stuck in me? Eeek!

I went to a local farmer's market today. There was an acupuncturist's booth there. They offered a free diagnosis based on your pulse points. I've considered acupuncture in the past but have always been scared. My naturopath has used acupuncture points to help diagnose problems though with very good results. So I sat down for my free test.

He told me problems (with no health history from me) that are true problems that I experience. Then we discussed whether he was right or wrong and if I would consider going to their clinic. I signed up for a free one hour extensive evaluation at the clinic tomorrow. It doesn't obligate me to go to them for treatment but at the same time he made a valid point that they only wanted to offer such an extensive free diagnostic evaluation if I would seriously consider their treatment. Eeek! What have I done! (Part of whether I can go to them for actual treatment will determine on if they take my insurance. They told me that they would tell me that tomorrow at the clinic.) Has anyone done acupuncture? Give me the good, the bad and the ugly details.

I went to a good acupuncturist and it cleared up my sinus issues. Wish I could still go but insurance is an issue. The pins are tiny and don't hurt. It is SUCH a pleasant experience! I was so relaxed. I truly think God gave us whatever pressure points the acupuncture works with, but medical science just doesn't understand it completely yet. (Remember when chiropractic was maligned, and now most insurances recognize it and pay for it!)

Enjoy it!

I've gone for acupuncture treatments in the past (as has dh) and we've both had very positive results. I saw great improvement in the condition I was being treated for and was very pleased with the overall results. The only reason I stopped going was cost. My insurance ran over the amount covered and acupuncture (at least where I am) is NOT cheap! :svengo:

I actually really enjoyed the acupuncture treatments themselves. I was always encouraged to try to get a nap in. I always did and I have to admit that those naps were the best naps of my life- I'd wake up feeling so refreshed.

Oh, I will say that I have seen a few acupuncturists over the years and some are not as good as others. I will say that the one of the ones I went and saw, I saw no results, even though the acupuncturist claimed that she was seeing results in my energy flows, etc. I do believe they are not all created equal.

One side effect that I noticed after the treatments was dizziness and a really "spacey" feeling that would last for a few hours. They didn't warn me about it but when I called after the treatment to ask if it was related they said that it was. It's probably not a side effect for everything that can be treated by acupuncture, but it certainly was for my condition. I had to be sure that I didn't have to do any heavy brainwork after a treatment for the first few weeks. ;) It wasn't a horrible feeling, but it was odd to be so alert, yet spacey. :001_huh:

DD30 went for acupuncture when she first became ill and was having awful pain and could not figure out what was causing it. She found it relaxing, found the acupuncturist to be quite accurate as far as the pain she was experiencing and what he told her about it, and she probably would have continued but it was expensive and while it was somewhat effective at relieving her pain albeit temporarily, she was becoming worse as far as presentation of physical symptoms.

Her acupuncturist did something with glass globes when she went and I do not know what it was, but she loved it and said it made her feel so much better.

Please let us know how it goes.:)

I hate needles, but I challenged myself to try acupuncture, and I love it. I do feel some discomfort in one ear almost every visit, but it's not too bad. I just don't watch as the needles are being inserted. It is very relaxing and does a good job controlling my asthma. I consider it a legitimate form of medical treatment and would go that route over surgery or long-term meds any day.

FYI - - they'll probably ask to see your tongue and feet.

ETA: If insurance won't cover it, ask if the acupuncturist knows of a community clinic in the area that works off "pay what you can". My acupuncturist has a regular clinic, but 2 x a month he offers a community clinic for those who can't afford the regular office visits. This is the only way I can afford to go.

Edited by kimmie38017
adding info