Menu

Tell me about 18-gal totes under the bed...

We have this bed: bed.jpg

It's falling apart. From a lot of moving, but mainly from 3yo climbing up the end of it ever since she was able, leaning backwards, & screaming, "IT'S A ABBY DAY!!!!" (For a long time she thought her name was 'Happyday' instead of 'Abigail.')

She's completely pulled some of the spoke-thingies off. Every once in a while, dh will sit down on the corner, & the whole thing falls on the floor.

So w/ this move, I really want to abandon the headboard/footboard (ok, I'd LOVE to toss the mattress, too--it's a mess), but the way the frame hooks to the headboard/footboard...well, it wouldn't work. Dh wants to try to sauter the whole thing back together (because he's a boy & that involves gadgets & fire).

How many rubbermaid totes would we need? What else do I need to know? This should be a) cheaper than a new frame (w/out headboard & footboard) & b) have some kind of pull that would make him willing to give up the opportunity to melt metal. :001_huh:

While you're at it, if you can think of a way to help me convince him not to take the $30 Craig's List sofa w/ 2 huge rips in it, that would be awesome. He's so adamant about keeping it, he's concluded that he'll just move it by himself. As. If. I foresee a flat 9yo w/ feet sticking out from underneath his end of the green sofa. :lol:

I've never heard of this.

So you'd put the boxspring & mattress right on a bunch of totes?

No soldering invovled? :lol:

The posts I've read say no box springs, either. It's for storing extra food, usually, but I'm thinking winter clothes, maternity clothes (that I'd really better not ever need again!), etc. Maybe 18gal totes w/ drawers for the edges, so I can actually retreive the stuff w/out having to flip the mattress.

Dh calls me Mary Poppins. We already have a magic-carpet-bag kind of existence. :001_huh::lol: "Yes, honey, it will fit in the trunk..."

We built frames for out mattresses to sit on. Out of wood. We want to be able to pull the tubs out easily. The kids store toys and out of season clothes in theirs.

I just went to the store and took the measurements of the tubs I wanted to use, two high, and we built the frames accordingly. Hth.

I think we've got 18 plastic crates (same size as apple boxes, so the tops are probably about the same size as your 18-gallon totes) under our mattresses. We have two twin mattresses sitting on top of them. I think with a queen you'd probably need 15. There's a little space left without anything underneath it, but it hasn't been a problem. And I love the flexibility of having storage under the bed because we usually live in very small apartments. And it's easy to move.

We built frames for out mattresses to sit on. Out of wood. We want to be able to pull the tubs out easily. The kids store toys and out of season clothes in theirs.

I just went to the store and took the measurements of the tubs I wanted to use, two high, and we built the frames accordingly. Hth.

Oooh. I bet dh would enjoy building something almost as much as he'd enjoy soldering. :001_smile:

We have 18 under a king-sized bed. The inner ones are for things I don't really plan on getting to; the ones along the edged slide in and odd fairly easily.

We just set the mattress on top. It works really well :)

The kids have 6-8 under a twin or full. We put a piece of plywood on top of the crated before we put the mattress down, because the bed gets too unstable if you try to pull one out.

It's easy to slide one box out at a time. But like Julie said, it's not very easy to get to the ones in the middle. If you knew exactly which box in the middle you needed, you could get to it, but I've found that it's not hard to arrange the boxes so that I don't need to get into the middle ones very often.