Menu

another introduction--hello!

I'm not HSing yet (my DS is almost one), but DH and I have wanted to HS before we were even married. We found out about WTM when I bought The Well-Educated Mind a few years ago. As a child, I was bored through most of elementary and middle school (fortunately, teachers were okay with letting me read whatever I wanted after I finished my work), and I want my children to be challenged. DH and I met in grad school (music--music theory and music history, not performance), so we have shared the same frustrations teaching undergrads, and we want our children to be better prepared.

I realized that I didn't want to stay in academia after I finished my PhD, so I'm now a SAHM. I've been reading these boards for a while, and I sometimes take notes for future reference. After realizing that there's no music history curriculum that meets my exacting standards (thanks to the hive), I've been working on one as a side project (yes, I realize that this is a little crazy considering that my DS is so little).

Anyway, I just wanted to "officially" introduce myself!

Welcome!

After realizing that there's no music history curriculum that meets my exacting standards (thanks to the hive), I've been working on one as a side project (yes, I realize that this is a little crazy considering that my DS is so little).

Nope not crazy. I've been working on a science curriculum for the last few years for the exact same reason.

Come to think of it, maybe we're both crazy. :001_smile:

... Nope not crazy. I've been working on a science curriculum for the last few years for the exact same reason.

Come to think of it, maybe we're both crazy. :001_smile:

:lol:

Poor DH has to listen to my rants about composer studies, so I think my curriculum side project is a good outlet!

Hello & welcome!

I love your name!

Before you keep posting, you'll need to write position papers on the following topics:

indoor vs. outdoor dogs

removing shoes in the house

uncrustables

the necessity (or lack thereof) returning shopping carts to the corral

Messianic Jews

racism (or lack thereof) in vintage children's books

bikinis

Oh, and might as well throw in circumcision! :lol:

JUST KIDDING!

Welcome, for real. :grouphug:

Hello & welcome!

I love your name!

Before you keep posting, you'll need to write position papers on the following topics:

indoor vs. outdoor dogs

removing shoes in the house

uncrustables

the necessity (or lack thereof) returning shopping carts to the corral

Messianic Jews

racism (or lack thereof) in vintage children's books

bikinis

Oh, and might as well throw in circumcision! :lol:

JUST KIDDING!

Welcome, for real. :grouphug:

Oooh ... I can see myself having fun with the search box to get myself up to speed!

Yay! So glad that you're out there, too! I'll feel like less of an oddity the next time I get a survey asking me about current employment (I'm listed right now as "changed profession" but each time I am so tempted to send in SAHM or homemaker.)

Yes. I vacillate between 'self-employed' and 'elementary educator', or just not answering.:tongue_smilie:

PS-Every once in awhile I do see classmates indicate SAHM, it makes me happy.

Well, I am 14 years out of grad school, and now 5 years out of the professional field. It seems unlikely for me too. ;)

OTOH, I have met several other Ph.D.'s that have left or taken a very, very long "sabbatical" to homeschool their kids-- including a newly forming friendship with a mom in my field (genetics) who finished her post-doc, and had kids right after to now rolling into homeschooling them (kinda like you :001_smile: ).