Menu

Apologia Marine Biology (questions)

Gwenhwyfar

(edit: cross posted to the 'high school' section as well)

I wonder if I might bend the ears of anyone who has used this...

Dd13 has expressed interest in using the Marine Biology program... and the last thing that I want to do is squish an interest... but I'm a bit concerned.

1. It's listed as a 11/12th grade course; she's going into 9th.

2. It says that a student should have taken a "first year biology course" already; she hasn't.

3. It's (obviously) written from a Christian, and I believe YEC, perspective; we do not fit this profile.

There was also mention of math skills on one website - I can't remember what it said.. something about "Algebra II" ? She hasn't done Algebra yet.

Now - we aren't concerned about 'credits' or anything. That doesn't begin until the 10th grade for us. This is purely because she's shown an interest. I wouldn't expect her to do this alone - I'd do it with her. I've not done a "first year biology course" either though -- so can someone tell me why they suggest that? We're both coming at this with empty biology buckets. ;)

If we need to do a little extra 'looking things up', that's fine. If this is more like trying to jump into the 2nd level of a language course without even knowing how to say "Hello" -- that could be a problem.

She does NOT want to do the basic biology course that they offer - it's the marine that's caught her eye. Oceans, marine life, how's it all work, what's done there, etc. I'm really not seeing a whole lot of other programs that are similar to this - if you do know of something that might be a bit more age/grade appropriate, please give me a link to check it out. (it has to be something we can order - not an online course.)

I've never seen the book before...I did look at the sample module here and... it doesn't look that difficult... I like the 'conversational' style and I think dd13 will as well. In the sample module there, I really don't see anything that screams "You can't do this! You need other courses first!"

I do see three very obvious 'in your face' bits about the age of the earth and anti-evolution. (I don't mean rude by 'in your face' - I just mean obvious.) If it's always that 'out there' -- the author seems to go "I'd like to take a minute blah blah blah" or stuff.. makes it obvious... if it's always like that, we can just skip over that stuff.. or look up info to counter it with our views, whatever.

Oh one other note: we'd be getting a good microscope and the kit with the specimens on slides, but not the dissection stuff. She doesn't want to be cutting anything open - can't say as that I blame her. We can always go online and look for some videos/animations of dissections if need be. Apparently there is also a cd with videos/etc on it too; we'd order that as well.

Anyone care to share their experience with it?

Thanks! :)

Edited by Gwenhwyfar
add link to high school thread

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

The only prerequisite I see is Biology. I have not done it but have done the regular Biology course. Looking at the table of contents, I see things (like cells, etc) that most likely require a previous course in Biology to understand. Every Apologia course we've done has been true to what they require as prerequisites. To be absolutely sure I'd email or call them.

The only prerequisite I see is Biology. I have not done it but have done the regular Biology course. Looking at the table of contents, I see things (like cells, etc) that most likely require a previous course in Biology to understand. Every Apologia course we've done has been true to what they require as prerequisites. To be absolutely sure I'd email or call them.

Hmmm. I wish I could actually get the book in my hands and flip through it....

I don't mind if we need to look up some extra stuff - like your example of cells...I mean, we both have a 'basic' idea of what cells are (building blocks of life/etc) but we haven't *studied* them in depth. We could easily go and get a book on cells or look up something online...

I don't know, I'm torn. I don't want to squash her interest.. when she realized there was a course that was all about oceans/ocean life/etc, she got all excited - that doesn't happen much in regards to school work. :tongue_smilie:

I also just realized that I should have posted this is the "high school" area - oops. I'll 'cross post' it there as well.

Do you have a Mardels near you? They usually carry them in stock to look at :)

I didn't even know what a "Mardels" was before I googled it - sounded a bit like a deli. :laugh:

Nope.. no curriculum stores within any sort of reasonable driving distance. Wish there was!

Ds is doing the marine bio in the Spring as a 'treat' if he does well with Bio in the fall and winter.

I have purchased the books, CD and lab materials but have not really looked through it.

I will look through it right now and give you an idea f what it requires.

Oh that would be fantastic, if you get a chance to look and can tell me what you think. :)

Can I ask how old/what grade level your son is?

If you're not worried about her completing it for credit, you might be able to do it. If you get to a section where you need more background (basic biology) info, just pause and do some reading. Don't worry about finishing every module. Plan on completing only certain modules, and add in a special research project and a trip to a big aquarium (maybe even a "job shadow" day with a marine biologist or some other behind-the-scenes experience).

HTH,

Wendi

I went through each chapter and this is what I found.

The first three chapters are a review of physical science and basic biology as they pertain to the oceans/marine life. These chapters cover quite a bit of information and it could be overwhelming w/o at least an intro course. It is not incomprehensible but you might be looking up information for clarification.

Other than basic calculations about salinity and population I cannot find any math in the book. I think basic math skills are fine for this course.

Dissections:

Module 5 - Clam; Sea Star

Module 6 - Shark

Lots of microscope work

Lots of reading

I think strong reading skills and an authentic desire to study marine biology are basic requirements for this course, especially if not taking it for credit. I can also see the distinct possibility of a student losing desire to study this course after module 6, which contains the big shark dissection; the last section is about pollution, overfishing, etc.

My son is 13 and in 8th grade and he is looking forward to completing the book. He is taking Apologia Biology this term, though, and plans on completing most of it before beginning Marine Biology.

I will be looking for video supplements for my DS.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

If you're not worried about her completing it for credit, you might be able to do it. If you get to a section where you need more background (basic biology) info, just pause and do some reading. Don't worry about finishing every module. Plan on completing only certain modules, and add in a special research project and a trip to a big aquarium (maybe even a "job shadow" day with a marine biologist or some other behind-the-scenes experience).

HTH,

Wendi

Yeah it's definitely not a 'credit' thing - that doesn't apply for 9th here. It's just because she's interested. I don't think we could do an aquarium trip (nothing within a reasonable distance) but we could certainly do some special projects, watch some videos, etc.

I did ask her again today if she would consider a basic biology course first, but nope - she is totally set on the whole underwater thing.

I went through each chapter and this is what I found.

The first three chapters are a review of physical science and basic biology as they pertain to the oceans/marine life. These chapters cover quite a bit of information and it could be overwhelming w/o at least an intro course. It is not incomprehensible but you might be looking up information for clarification.

Other than basic calculations about salinity and population I cannot find any math in the book. I think basic math skills are fine for this course.

Dissections:

Module 5 - Clam; Sea Star

Module 6 - Shark

Lots of microscope work

Lots of reading

I think strong reading skills and an authentic desire to study marine biology are basic requirements for this course, especially if not taking it for credit. I can also see the distinct possibility of a student losing desire to study this course after module 6, which contains the big shark dissection; the last section is about pollution, overfishing, etc.

My son is 13 and in 8th grade and he is looking forward to completing the book. He is taking Apologia Biology this term, though, and plans on completing most of it before beginning Marine Biology.

I will be looking for video supplements for my DS.

Thank you!!

The first three being review does sound good - and looking up could be easily done. Even if we didn't have a basic biology book, we could look online.

She *wants* microscope work - but she's not too keen on those dissections, not sure if we'd do those. We'd definitely do the slides/etc though. She'd probably LIKE the stuff on pollution, overfishing, etc - she cares about animal (aquatic or otherwise) life and the problems that humans cause in their environments.

Her reading skills are fairly strong - she's not a fast reader, but she's capable. We'd be reading it together, so that makes a difference.

Thank you VERY much for looking through it and replying - much appreciated!

(edit: cross posted to the 'high school' section as well)

I wonder if I might bend the ears of anyone who has used this...

Dd13 has expressed interest in using the Marine Biology program... and the last thing that I want to do is squish an interest... but I'm a bit concerned.

1. It's listed as a 11/12th grade course; she's going into 9th.

2. It says that a student should have taken a "first year biology course" already; she hasn't.

I don't know how to post this using your quotes, but I'll try this way.

Son used it in marine biology in his senior year, his Algebra wasn't that great. He loves MB also.

3. It's (obviously) written from a Christian, and I believe YEC, perspective; we do not fit this profile.

We don't fit that profile either. It was easy enough to skip over the parts we disagreed with as it doesn't really seem to weigh in on the core knowledge.

There was also mention of math skills on one website - I can't remember what it said.. something about "Algebra II" ? She hasn't done Algebra yet.

Now - we aren't concerned about 'credits' or anything. That doesn't begin until the 10th grade for us. This is purely because she's shown an interest. I wouldn't expect her to do this alone - I'd do it with her. I've not done a "first year biology course" either though -- so can someone tell me why they suggest that? We're both coming at this with empty biology buckets. ;)

Son didn't like the first year Apologia biology course and gave it up before the end. He still learned a lot from the MB course from Apologia. We bought the science kits he needed for it too.

If we need to do a little extra 'looking things up', that's fine. If this is more like trying to jump into the 2nd level of a language course without even knowing how to say "Hello" -- that could be a problem.

She does NOT want to do the basic biology course that they offer - it's the marine that's caught her eye. Oceans, marine life, how's it all work, what's done there, etc. I'm really not seeing a whole lot of other programs that are similar to this - if you do know of something that might be a bit more age/grade appropriate, please give me a link to check it out. (it has to be something we can order - not an online course.)

I've never seen the book before...I did look at the sample module here and... it doesn't look that difficult... I like the 'conversational' style and I think dd13 will as well. In the sample module there, I really don't see anything that screams "You can't do this! You need other courses first!"

I do see three very obvious 'in your face' bits about the age of the earth and anti-evolution. (I don't mean rude by 'in your face' - I just mean obvious.) If it's always that 'out there' -- the author seems to go "I'd like to take a minute blah blah blah" or stuff.. makes it obvious... if it's always like that, we can just skip over that stuff.. or look up info to counter it with our views, whatever.

Oh one other note: we'd be getting a good microscope and the kit with the specimens on slides, but not the dissection stuff. She doesn't want to be cutting anything open - can't say as that I blame her. We can always go online and look for some videos/animations of dissections if need be. Apparently there is also a cd with videos/etc on it too; we'd order that as well.

Anyone care to share their experience with it?

Thanks! :)

Son stated he didn't think the cd was full of wonderful info, :confused:. He never contacted the teacher/doctor/author.

The dissection stuff son didn't mind of course. He did learn from using the dissection stuff. It was yucky, yes, and I think ours was not preserved as well as we thought it would be...?

In closing, I want you to know our son wants to be in marine biology, wherever that takes him.

If you think your daughter is on the right academic level for it, I'd say let her try it.

Thanks Ginger ~ no worries about the quotes, the blue stands out quite well. :)

I suspect that the dissection stuff is likely important, but my girl is pretty "grossed out" at the idea :laugh: .... if we go with it, I figure we can likely find some video demonstrations (or animations) of the same thing that might suffice.

If your son wants a career in marine biology, I wish him lots of luck! :D