Menu

Would you use....

No.

I don't really believe in testing for grammar stage kiddos for most subjects, but it's really not necessary for history. She'll get this information again two more times and doesn't really need to be held accountable for it now. Keep history a fun experience; you will know that she is learning just by watching her act out history in her play or drawings and through the narrations and conversations you have with her.

We're not using the tests. :001_smile: We do have the Activity Guide, and I go through the questions for each section with my 1st grader. I also have her do a "narration" after the review where she tells me her favorite part, and I write it down. As it turns out, thus far her short term retention has been really great (we're on chapter 9). She enjoys it a lot and tells Daddy all about what she learned in history when he gets home from work. But the pressure is really, really low (like, a nonexistent-kind-of-low :D).

Personally, I'm not interested in testing simply because what we're trying to do is two-fold: first, create a love for history and for the stories contained within, and second, create a few historical pegs for the future. But if the second goal doesn't happen, I won't worry in the slightest. Goodness knows *I* never learned any of this stuff in 1st grade, and if I'm honest, I'm learning quite a bit right alongside her. :lol:

HTH!