Menu

Ack! I think I made a mistake on history

I bought the Sr. High version of the Beautiful Feet Guide to U.S. and World History. We have used the jr. high/sr. high guides for Ancients, Medieval and Early American History in the past 3 years. The previous 3 guides had the sr. high students do all that the jr. high student did plus some extra. It had lessons which included readings, maps, questions etc. But this guide is so different. It tells me the required books but instead of having lessons which cover the material for all of those books, it has a couple of pages of study notes for each book. And that is all.

I am totally freaking out because we're supposed to start school in 3 weeks. I bought most of the required books already for this guide. But the way it looks, I'll have to basically write my own lessons for this year. I wasn't planning to do that! To do that not only do I need lots more time, but I will need to read every single book ahead of time with enough depth to flesh it out better than these silly study notes (which look worthless). So what do I do? Do I switch to something else? If so - what? :willy_nilly:

I hear your concerns. We decided not to use BF high school. We also used BF Jr. High and several of the Intermediate guides with great success. So, I was surprised when we had to chose another program. I did buy the BF high school guide and the books for 1 and 2. The books are good and we have, or will, used all of them, so I do not at all feel that was a waste.

I really liked the look of Notgrass and wanted to use it. But, dd did not like it at all. We considered several spines (BJU, Abeka, Streams of Civilization) and other lit approaches like MFW and Sonlight.

We finally settled on AOP Lifepac for history. Never thought I'd do that! But, it is a good program. I like that it is bringing lots of the concepts we have covered and putting them together. Dd is learning quite a bit. I'm supplementing the program with literature by the way.

Jean, have you looked at enotes.com? Their subscription for a year is $49, but they have almost every book you could think of for elementary up to high school. They have summaries (so you don't have to read ahead), author bios, quizzes, critical essays, etc. You can look at the beginning of each section they offer for their study guides before you purchase. I have used enotes quite a bit.

Jean, have you looked at Omnibus? PM me if so--I have some resources I'd think about sharing! (Even if it's for next year.)

Chris, I did look at Omnibus but it looked like too much for this year. I will look at it again for next year.

Jean, have you looked at enotes.com? Their subscription for a year is $49, but they have almost every book you could think of for elementary up to high school. They have summaries (so you don't have to read ahead), author bios, quizzes, critical essays, etc. You can look at the beginning of each section they offer for their study guides before you purchase. I have used enotes quite a bit.

I will check this out. Thanks. I hadn't heard of this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Tammy, do you have to buy the guides individually on top of the $49 subscription fee. I had a monthly subscription to bookrags.com and it wasn't worth it, so I am curious.

Jeanne, would Biblioplan work?